Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > in the zoo or at the zoo ?    

in the zoo or at the zoo ?

anestis
Greece

in the zoo or at the zoo ?

I know we say in the zoo (ex there are lots of lions in the zoo)for animals and at the zoo (I am at the zoo with Rita)for people.But can we say I am in the zoo too ? or is it wrong? Thanks

27 Nov 2013      

dareka1
Japan

When you aren �t sure, just google the phrase with putting them in quotation marks.

"at the zoo" - 292,000,000 hits on google
"in the zoo" - 314,000,000 hits on google

to me, both are fine. To the world, "at the zoo" seems more popular...

27 Nov 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

People can be AT the zoo to walk around and see the animals and then they go home. Animals are IN the zoo, they live there (that�s what I use anyway) ...

27 Nov 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Generally, if you have a choice between "at" and "in," they have slightly different meanings. "At" usually means only a physical presence, whereas "in" implies a more active sense of participation. In this case, "at the zoo"="my body is on zoo property," while "in the zoo"="I am on display and an integral part of the zoo."

Other examples:
"at school"=I am on school property
"in school"=I am taking classes

"at the wedding"=I am present and watching the ceremony
"in the wedding"=I am officially participating in some fashion, perhaps as a bridesmaid or groomsman

I hope this helps explain the difference between "at" and "in."

27 Nov 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Sometimes there is  fine line and it �s hard to know which to use.  Also, often there is a difference between UK and US usage.  
If someone rang me on my mobile phone and asked me where I was I�d say I�m at the zoo.

When I�m at work sitting in my office, if someone rings me on my mobile phone and asks me where I am  I say I�m at work, however if I am actually teaching in my class I say I can�t talk now because I�m in class.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Nov 2013     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

I agree. I would say at the zoo... but if I was inside a particular building, "I would say I �m at the zoo, and in the snake building."

"In" suggests you are inside a structure, or participating in some way. Saying "I am at the circus" and "I am in the circus".... are very different things. The former is watching, the second is performing.

:-)

27 Nov 2013