Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IDEAS     

IDEAS

rosasud
Peru

IDEAS

Help me please ... I need some suggestions ... i am going to teach some students , they are going to travel to U.S.A on 20 of january ... I need to teach them basic  english ... but the time is short .. I need activities , games , or  some methodos for the learning ...please I hope your help ..........thanks

They are 13 to 16 years old ... it is an interchange of students ...they are going to know the culture and knowing the city ( utah and california for a week . their English is bacis level 

10 Dec 2013      

SassieJassie
United States

They need a lot of natural listening/ conversation practice. Grammar will be learned indirect as to what "sounds" right over time. But being able to listen to a native speaker and comprehend what they are saying is a huge factor. Have they been learning English since Kindergarten? If so a lot of conversation practice is what is really needed. Role play activities, planning/problem solving activities, games etc. Anything to get them listening. 

I have a game I play with my students kind of like 20 questions except I call it  the "hot seat" I sit a chair  in front of the white board (back of the chair pointed towards the white board) and ask for a volunteer. The student sits in the chair and then I write a word on the board such as Mango, tok tok, taxi, donkey, etc. The student then has to ask questions that can be answered as yes, no, maybe, sometimes or related to. 

I always give the basic questions: Can I ride in/on it?(difference especially with motorcycle) Can I eat/drink it? Is it in this room? Is it electronic? Can I visit it? Is it used in my home/work/school? Is it bigger than my chair? Do I see it commonly in the street? Is it alive? (reminding the students that plants are alive not just animals)

I have 3 rules to make it easier: It must be something you can touch, It can not be a person (teacher or famous person) and must be in the country we are in. This gives students practice in stressful situations and how to ask things in different ways to get the answer they want. 

If they had not learned English basics from Kindergarten, start with greetings and work your way up with the most basic conversation topics. See what is trending in tween world (I really have no idea) for conversation teaching topics. 

GOOD LUCK

10 Dec 2013