Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Reading with Teenagers    

Reading with Teenagers

izulia
China

Reading with Teenagers

Hello, 
I have been teaching primary school students for over 10 years and now will start teaching 12-15 year olds with elementary level of English. For reading I will be doing some short text reading with the usual ESL follow up activities.

In order to develop interest in reading chapter books, I am considering to choose Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. My question is, do guided reading sessions work with the teenagers? You know, when one students reads an extract from the story and everybody follows and take turns? How do teenagers respond to that? Also do you encourage reading the whole book? 

Are there any good books that you could recommend for my class of 12-13 year olds, all boys except for one girl?

Thank you!

22 Dec 2013      

s.lefevre
Brazil

I would read easy readers with them. There are books starting with 250 words. In my opinion, the readers should be exactly the level of the students, they would loose interest if they can �t understand most of the words.
There are some very interesting collections:
Oxford :Dominoes -  Bookworms - Dolphin Readers
 Longman: Structural Readers
Macmillan: Children �s Readers
Richmond : Modern readers
I have used them with children from 10 - 14 and they liked it very much.
There is also -Penguin Readers, but they  are more difficult.
We have a collegue and she has a site with adapted short stories.  http://www.aj3000.org/ very interesting too.

22 Dec 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

What is the level of the studetns? Roald Dahl isn �t very easy and personally I think The chocolate factory might be a boit childish for them. My all time favorite is "Holes" by |Louis Sachar. There is a great movie based on the book which you could show as a celebration after finishing the book.

The first Harry Potter book is great for class reading. The English is fairly easy. Here you could read a chapter and then watch a chapter since the movie follows the book very closely.

The good thing about these book is that one wants to find out how they end end therefore have intrinsic motivation to keep on reading.

On both books there are quite a lot of materials available to support the work.

Success

22 Dec 2013     

izulia
China

Thank you for the ideas and tips, my dear friends, very much appreciated!

Yes, I love the �Holes � book, Marion although it might be a bit too advanced for my students. The majority of them are at the quite basic level of English but they are bright and keen on learning, so I might try just few episodes from Harry Potter. It �d be great for them to watch some of the movie too. I need to have a look for more follow up activities.

I agree with you s.lefevre that the students would lose interest if they don �t understand most of the words so I will be careful about that. Thank you for the list of the graded readers!

Best wishes! 

22 Dec 2013     

annaas
Norway

Roald Dahl: The Twits.

22 Dec 2013     

pilarmham
Spain

I loved your suggestion, Marion! Holes seems really interesting for teenagers.
I have found the book in PDF format, could you tell me if it is good and complete?

Thanks!

22 Dec 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

My friend, who isn �t an eslp member, has done a lot of nice ppts and stuff on �Holes �. If you like, I �ll ask her to send them (she will), but it will be after January 7th. Let me know if this would be useful. 

22 Dec 2013     

izulia
China

Thank you for your suggestions!
I �d be happy to receive some follow up activities on Holes, cunliffe when your friend is back.
Hope you are all getting into festive mood and have a lovely Christmas! :))

22 Dec 2013     

isabellep
France

Hello !
I enjoy reading Green Apple editions with my 13-15 year-old pupils. There are many tittles like Oliver Twist, Robin Hood and Traditional stories aboud the UK or the USA in this collection and reading activities are already included. Some even have a CD ! 
Hope you can find them !

Isa

22 Dec 2013