Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > SO SAD    

SO SAD

chrysalis
Greece

SO SAD

I had posted a printable with the lyrics of Donde Esta Santa Claus. It is a hit song in Greece and there are only two lines in Spanish: "Mamacita, donde esta Santa Claus, donde esta Santa Claus" and then the same lines are in English. There was also a wordsearch following the song lyrics. I hoped that more students would listen to this wonderful song, so sorry eslprintables considers it Spanish, if only the lyrics had been read...

28 Dec 2013      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

You know...the rules say it clearly - the wss must be 100% English. And a 100 means a 100, not 99,5. If you correct the ws, you can upload it again. 

28 Dec 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Hi MJ Misa, I think she means that a few of the lines in the song are in Spanish and the rest of the lyrics are in English. This happens in some other songs too such as Michelle by the Beatles.

I didn �t see this WS on the reporting page so I �m not sure what discussion took place.

28 Dec 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

hi,

I have to disagree with you my dear Michaela! you know i �m all for the 100% in english rule, but in this case it �s the song that contains a few words in Spanish, so how can "we" correct it??? maybe Chrysalis, you could re-upload your ws, we the moderators will have a "heated" discussion - it �s winter it might help us warm up :) and we �ll see who agrees/disagrees!

by the way, I think that, since the sentences in spanish are followed by their translation in english it could be nice to add an exercise linking those 2 languages - something very simple of course, like finding the words that look the same, or discovering that the sentence structure S-V-O is the same...  it could be a bonus exercise at the bottom of your ws :)

29 Dec 2013     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Well, I haven �t seen the ws in question as it has been removed already. If the lines were a part of the original work, it probably shouldn �t have been removed. But that �s a question... ;-)

29 Dec 2013     

s.lefevre
Brazil

100% English means exercises and directions in English. A few Spanish words can �t harm, because it �s the original song.So, I �m in favor to let it stay.  But, what if the few words were in Chinese or in Russian and nowbody could read them? What do you think?

29 Dec 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Good point Sylvia.  I can �t read Spanish, Chinese, Russian or any other language apart from English.  But I guess the question is, how much of a song can be non-English for it to be accepted.

In my opinion, after looking at the lyrics, I feel that it should have been accepted as the non-English component is miniscule.  I don �t recall seeing it on the reporting page and I think that chrysalis should reupload it.

29 Dec 2013     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think so too. I wanted to make a point how difficult it is sometimes to be a moderator. Rules are rules is not good enough. Even grammar rules have its exeption. So, if the original text has foreign words, we should really accept them. The authour could translate the foreign words into English, so everybody can understand and explain to their students. If the exercises or the directions are in a foreign language or if there is a vocabulary exercise in Spanish or watever, it should be rejected as it has been until now.

29 Dec 2013     

Lovely Lana
Greece

Yes, being a moderator seems to be difficult.
I �m not a moderator, but I think the song with just a few foreign words shouldn �t be rejected. Again, nobody has rejected "La Isla Bonita" song by Madonna.

29 Dec 2013     

morenopalomares
Spain

Thank you for having me know this catchy song. I have used it in my class as a way of saying good bye to year 2013. Some of my students have promised to sing it on their graduation day in June wearing Santa hats. Thank you so much. I introduced the song saying that "Spanglish" is not something new under the sun. It is something authentic and why not become aware of it. I appreciate your effort and I would like to download your worksheet if you were allowed to upload it. Mar�a

29 Dec 2013     

morenopalomares
Spain

Anyway Lena, I would like you to try to upload your "Mamacita" worksheet again because it was reported before I could download it. I am very interested in your activity. If it weren �t accepted again, I would appreciate, if possible, your e-mailing it to me.

I wish you a very happy New Year, and the same for the ones to come,

Mar�a.

30 Dec 2013