Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me    

Help me

sabrina5311
Vietnam

Help me

Dear friends,

I �ve read something in English and it confuses me. I need an explanation, please help me if you can.

Does "provide a copy of your daughter in Canada �s birth certificate" mean "provide a copy of your daughter �s Canadian birth certificate?" 

I am confused with the phrase "in Canada �s birth certificate".

Please help! Thank you.

8 Jan 2014      

yanogator
United States

They are not quite the same, depending on where your daughter was born. If not in Canada, then she doesn �t have a Canadian birth certificate.

Anyway, it is a rather awkward way of saying "Provide a copy of the birth certificate of your daughter (who lives) in Canada".

Bruce

8 Jan 2014     

sabrina5311
Vietnam

Thank Bruce for your help. 

As I know, the daughter was not born in Canada. So, that sentence means that "Provide a copy of a birth certificate of your daughter who lives in Canada", does it?

Sabrina,

8 Jan 2014     

Digico
Netherlands

This is how I read the two sentences:

- In the first sentence the daughter lives in Canada, so they want you to provide the birth
   certificate of your daughter (who lives) in Canada
- In the second sentence the daughter was born in Canada, and has a Canadian birth
   certificate, which they want you to provide.

Cheers,

Marco

8 Jan 2014