Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Promoting Reading    

Promoting Reading

bibikos
Greece

Promoting Reading

Happy New Year to all of you!

Our 6th graders (12 year old) never visit the English library although this isn �t the case with the Greek one. I was thinking of giving them as an optional work a short story to read of no more than 2 pages accompanied with a little project so as to be sure that they really took a look at it! I �m trying to find interesting projects that won �t be grammar or vocabulary exercises but a short task that has to do with understanding in an anusing way. Any ideas?

thanks

10 Jan 2014      

Lovely Lana
Greece

You could ask students to arrange the events in the story in the correct order, just write the events on separate pieces of paper.
You could also ask them to rewrite the stories from the point of view of different characters in the story.
They can prepare character sketches of the main characters in the story (things that are implicitly stated in the story + our impression of the them).
Acting out dialogues also works well with students.
I don �t whether it �s regarded as projects, though)))

10 Jan 2014     

bibikos
Greece

thanks for the ideas Lana

10 Jan 2014