Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Competition for the weekend Jan. 11/12     

Word of the Day Competition for the weekend Jan. 11/12

elderberrywine
Germany

Word of the Day Competition for the weekend Jan. 11/12

Thanks for Marion for liking my definition of "pandarticulation".
Here we go with a nice new word. Try to find witty, clever, funny, likely or unlikely definitions, but don � bore us with the real meaning of the word.
Led the magician, we haven �t had your learned definitions for a very long time, where are you ??

The word is   .....................Sphygmomanometer..................

Hope you find it in"sphy"ring.
I �ll choose the winner on Monday.

11 Jan 2014      

maryse pey�
France

Well "sphy" is a word made from "spy" and "phantom"
"g" is for "general"
"mom" is for "mummy"
"ano" is for "anonymous"
"meter" here means "measure"

So a sphygmomanometer is the instrument that measures the fame of an anonymous phantom which was a spy and a mom disguised in general of the army of the anonymous people on earth...

Have you ever read their results ? Really interesting indeed !

Good week end to all.

11 Jan 2014     

sarguero
Spain

It �s a medical device that measures the diameter of the anal sphincter in severe cases of constipation  Confused

11 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

@sarguaro.LOL
I have to put that thought out of my mind before trying to give another defintion!

11 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

As you all know, a sphinx is a special breed of cat, known for its lack of fur.
In most cases of mother and kitten bonding, the licking and grooming of fur plays an important part. Since both momma and kiddie lack fur, a very different bonding ritual evolved which is unique to these cats. The mother and kitten purr in a special rythm when relating to each other. The rythm of the purring differs for every mother kitten duo. Each couple has its own distinctive meter.
Sphygmomanometer  refers to this specific, distinguishing purring rythm. It �s a very interesting phenomenom indeed.

11 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

This is a very complicated word. It is a specialized word referring to a device, developed by an American sorority, that keeps track of the food that mothers make for men. 

S - English transliteration of Greek letter sigma S
phy- variant transliteration of Greek letter F
g- transliteration of Greek letter gamma G
mom - mother
man
nom - a slang word for food, especially a treat
meter - measure

SFG is a popular sorority in the USA, and it holds the patent for this machine. The sphygmomanometer is very useful for ammunition in marital arguments for assessing the number and amount of homemade goodies that mothers make for fathers. Mothers, you should invest in one today if you ever make your husbands � favorite foods.

11 Jan 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

Oh my, I had no idea I had chosen such a complicated word! 

12 Jan 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

Moody Moody, you are the winner. Among all the brilliant definitions I liked yours best. Over to you, I hope you`ll find a great word.

And for those who want to know what this object REALLY is:
A sphygmomanometer (/ˌsfɪɡmməˈnɒmɨtər/ SFIG-moh-mə-NOM-i-tər) or blood pressure meter (also referred to as a sphygmometer) is a device used to measure blood pressure, composed of an inflatable cuff to restrict blood flow, and a mercury or mechanical manometer to measure the pressure. It is always used in conjunction with a means to determine at what pressure blood flow is just starting, and at what pressure it is unimpeded. Manual sphygmomanometers are used in conjunction with a stethoscope.

13 Jan 2014