Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > past perfect issues    

past perfect issues

nemomen
Romania

past perfect issues

Consider the following sentences:
She met her husband on her way to school when she was just fifteen. She (ride)was riding along the same road that she  (cycle)had cycled on every day since she (start) started school.
Please tell me if they are the right answers or correct me if I �m wrong.

12 Jan 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Your choices are correct.

12 Jan 2014     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

I think the last verb (start) should be put in the past perfect tense, too (had started). This action took place before cycling.

12 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

I respectfully disagree, Mohamed. We use the perfect tenses for ongoing actions, and starting is a one-time action. I agree with Lynne that the past tense is good there.

12 Jan 2014     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Sorry, MoodyMoody, I thought it would be illogical to use the simple past for an action earlier  than the one in past perfect. As for not using the past perfect for actions not "ongoing", what about this sentence? He had left long before I arrived. "left" is a single action completed in the past, not going on = continuing to the time when I arrived. 

12 Jan 2014     

viccxx
Greece

The action that happened before the one that is on Past Simple should be in Past Perfect. I think I would phrase the sentence like this:
" She met her husband on her way to school when she was just fifteen. She (ride)was riding along the same road that she  (cycle) cycled on every day since she (start) had started school.

12 Jan 2014     

viccxx
Greece

The on doesn �t go with the day that follows, it goes with the road. You cycle ON a road.

13 Jan 2014     

nemomen
Romania

I was baffled by the use of SINCE and I thought I should use the verb coming before it in the perfect tense but it is clear to me too that the last action is prior to that one and vicxx �s  answers seem correct.
Thank you all so much!>:D<

13 Jan 2014     

Malvine
Latvia

Let us paraphrase the sentence like this: "She met her husband on her way to school when she was just fifteen. She (ride) was riding along the same road that she (cycle) had cycled on every day since 2008.�

So, she had cycled (had been cycling) on that road since 2008. We use the perfect with �since�, all right? (In this case, it�s past perfect because it happened before she met her husband.) Now, she started school in 2008, OK? Consequently, �she had cycled the road since she started school (= since 2008)�.

Another example: I have liked cooking since I was a child. I was a child from 1989 to 1999, OK? (Not �I have/had been a child from 1989 to 1999� � that was in the PAST when I was a child, so the past tense should be used here.) Consequently, �I have liked cooking since I was a child (= since 1990s)�, not �since I had been a child�.

Trust native speakers more (like MoodyMoody and Cunliffe, for example).

15 Jan 2014