Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > My students will build a toy ship together. Some advice    

My students will build a toy ship together. Some advice

Systane
Italy

My students will build a toy ship together. Some advice

Hello everybody.

I just need some advice about one of my lessons that I have in 2 days. It �s about building a toy ship made of 200+ pieces.
My lesson lasts 2 hours. I would like to introduce the topic of hobbies on the first hour, having a discussion with them about their favourite hobbies etc... and then on the second hour let them build the ship (maybe 2 and I �ll divide the students in 2 teams seeing who �s the fastest).
These students are 10-12 years old, Chinese, about 14/16 students and all of them love games and activities like this.

I �m asking you: how can I make the first hour interesting? Which kind of activities may I consider for them?

Thanks in advance

20 Jan 2014      

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

Find somebody,who (collects stamps, badges, plays tennis, etc) may be a good activity.

20 Jan 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

what about another game, but this one would focus on language (vocabulary etc...): a powerpoint or a board game focusing on hobbies and/or abilities (CAN)... you �ll find plenty of those here :) and if there �s one of mine you like just send me a PM and i �ll send it to you free of charge :)

if i were you, however, i would try to teach them structures they will have to use while building the toy ship (can you post a picture BTW? i have no idea what it looks like...) so that the 2nd hour would still be an English lesson :)

20 Jan 2014     

yoliramon
Spain

Talk about hobbies, for example,which are common (technology) or how they have changed with the ages,and there isn�t less hobbies that can practise outside,for example,play football,ride bike...

20 Jan 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Spelling Battleship:   http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=693382#this

Top 10 largest ships in the world:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxd6AJSAzkc

21 Jan 2014