Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > grammar clarification,please?    

grammar clarification,please?

lailataik
Morocco

grammar clarification,please?

Dear colleagues,
please can you help me with the the acuracy of these sentences:
I know that the sentences below are correct:
 Fish is heallthy
Seafood is healty

The questions is could we say both:
Fish and seafood is / are healthy
Thank you in advance for your responses.

21 Jan 2014      

redarena
France

Hello,

I think it �s "are" because seafood + fish = plural (2 elements). Not sure ...

21 Jan 2014     

morgann87
Australia

The answer is "is" for both. We would never use "are".

21 Jan 2014     

kafeifei
Canada

I would use are. 

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/599/01/

1. When the subject of a sentence is composed of two or more nouns or pronouns connected by and, use a plural verb.

I would say the above trumps this:

10. Collective nouns are words that imply more than one person but that are considered singular and take a singular verb, such as group, team, committee, class, and family.

I would use the plural because there are two nouns in the subject.

I would also say Bill and Ted are having an excellent adventure. Not Bill and Ted is having an Excellent Adventure.

It does seem to vary US/UK though (that �s a US source above) re: collective nouns.

I would also say fish is healthy (when talking of the food), the fish are healthy (when talking about the bowl of them), but seafood is healthy. I would not say fish and seafood is healthy.

In all honesty, I think either works. And I also suspect that it doesn �t really matter. I wiki �ed it and it mentions notional vs. formal agreement.  Or look at Metonymic merging of grammatical number under Collective Nouns.

Not to base my idea on wikipedia, but to suggest that both are possible for collectives (which matches my instinct as Canadian).

Following my other example above, I guess Americans would see them as a single collective. Bill and Ted�s Excellent Adventure. I see Bill S Preston and Ted Theodore Logan as two separate people, and I would use the are for that reason. Even though they went through the adventure together.

21 Jan 2014     

L. habach
Morocco

Fish and seafood are healthy

21 Jan 2014     

yanogator
United States

@ morgann87, I think you misunderstood the question.

Yes, "Fish and seafood are healthy". But, since fish is a kind of seafood, this is somewhat redundant, so it might be better to say "Fish and other seafood are healthy" or "Seafood is healthy".

Bruce, being somewhat curmudgeonly today

21 Jan 2014     

lailataik
Morocco

Thank you dear colleagues But I still doesnt have an answer.Coz I wrote on the board Fish and seafood is healthy some sts said that we must use :are and I said we can use both.What do you think? Plz correct me ,coz I need to go back to my sts and clarify that if I am mistaken

22 Jan 2014     

kafeifei
Canada

are

1. When the subject of a sentence is composed of two or more nouns or pronouns connected by and, use a plural verb.

22 Jan 2014