Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > me or I ???    

me or I ???

gulsahbilge67
Turkey

me or I ???

Hi everybody ! 

I �ve a question. It seems easy but I cannot be sure. 
I �m waiting for native speakers to make it clear.

"Me and my students" or "me and my family" or "me and my friends" 

I know me is an object indeed. However, such an expression seems quite well to me, but I �m not sure totally.

Is it correct? Imagine that you name a photo album. And you do not make a full sentence. Can we use me in such utterences or do you think we had better use "I" instead of "me" ?

Thanks right now.

G�lşah

25 Jan 2014      

ConanGon
Algeria

Hello everybody,
Dear Gulsahbilge67,
Look, we can �t say that your phrase is incorrect. I �ll explain for you to get the idea:
You can say "My family and I" or "My students and I"... when these phrases are part of the subject: e.g: My family and I visited Istanbul. It is a part of the subject.
However, you can say "My family and me".... when these phrases are part of the object: e.g: Ferit invited my family and me.  IT is a part of the object.
I hope you get the idea
Please, check for other answers for more clarifications.
Smile

25 Jan 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Native speakers do use expressions such as "me and my family" all the time. It �s still grammatically a mistake, as you already knew. Using "me" as a subject in conjunction with another person or a group is linguistically like wearing a t-shirt that �s full of holes. If you want to use it at all, it �s best left to very casual situations with other people who will use expressions that aren �t the best grammar. It �s better manners to put yourself after others, and better grammar to use I for a subject and me for an object.

On a related note, it bothers me just as much to hear "I" as an object. I have to grit my teeth every time I hear my husband say "between you and I."

25 Jan 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

If only it were so simple, Moody:  http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=3469

25 Jan 2014     

Apodo
Australia

If naming an album it would sound OK to use �Me and my Family � as a title.

Think of it as:

(This album is of) me and my family.

But I would never use it as the subject of a sentence when writing or speaking.

25 Jan 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The rule of thumb is ..take out the other person, would you write I or me? (same with the other subject pronouns)

So, �Me and my students had a good lesson � take out �my students � and you see that is awkward - it should be �I � - and �I � should come second. �My students and I had a good lesson. �

�The headteacher told my students and I to shut up � take out �my students � and it should be �me �. As ConanGol explains quite nicely.  

This is just in writing. In speech, people use �me � as a subject all the time. For example, �Me and Steve went to the pictures last night. � �Steve and I � would sound ridiculously formal. 

However, I am with MoodyMoody about �I � being used as an object. It sounds very pompous when actually it shows a lack of knowledge of the conventions. As for �Between you and I � - yuck! 

26 Jan 2014