Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Please help    

Please help

Novita79
Indonesia

Please help

Hi,  I �m currently writing my paper. In the formulation of the problem, I �m confused  to choose which sentence is correct.

1. Are there any effects of student �s perception on teacher �s performance and learning styles towards reading comprehension?

or

2. Is there any effect of student �s perception on teacher �s performance and learning styles towards reading comprehension?

Is there any grammar book that I can use as a reference for this confusion? Thanks alot for your help!

14 Feb 2014      

monder78
Poland

Hello The second is correct.Some time ago a member of our ESL community asked a similar question.Native speakers � answers were always the same. If the following noun is in singular, then use there is, no matter that you mention another noun in plural or in singular later on.

15 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Novita, I don �t understand this question but I �ve just rolled out of bed. Can you clarify it at all? Does it mean that what students perceive can influence how teachers teach reading comprehension? Whose learning style? The teachers �? 

I would write it like this: Are there any effects of students � perceptions on teachers � performance (or: on their teacher �s performance) and learning styles towards reading comprehension? but I �m really not clear what it means. 

15 Feb 2014     

pinkblossom
Germany

If the questions are Research Questions for a thesis, you should write

1. Does students � perception have any significant effect on teachers � performance  and learning styles in reading comprehension?

or

2. Does teachers � performance and learning styles have any significant effect on students � perception in reading comprehension?

you should determine your dependent and independent variables, an independent variable 
is the one you want to see its effect on a dependent variable, for example you want to examine the effect of teachers � performance and learning styles on perception of students, so the second question that i wrote for you is correct ...or... if you are looking for the effect of 
students �perception on the teachers � performance (which seems odd)the first question that i wrote for you is right,
Do not forget that you should determine exactly what you mean by reading comprehension and give enough information about reading comprehension you mean. Further, you should determine the level of students � in English proficiency, whether elementary or intermediate or...

Good Luck and Have Fun

15 Feb 2014     

Novita79
Indonesia

Thank you very much for your answer, monder78, cunliffe and pink blossoms. I am writing my thesis and I have conducted survey with two independent variables

1. Student �s perception on teacher �s performance
2. Student �s learning styles

and if they have effect on dependent variable

Student �s reading comprehension.

I have to do presentation for my thesis, and I am not sure whether to use

Are there any effects of student �s perception on teacher �s performance and learning styles towards reading comprehension?

or

Is there any effect
of student �s perception on teacher �s performance and learning styles towards reading comprehension?

I �m trying to find the answer in grammar book, but so far, I can �t find the specific one. I �m so desperate and nervous facing the test for my thesis. Thank you very much.

15 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Novita, I think either of those is fine. It depends: is there one single effect, or is there more than one? By the way, I did like Pink Blossom �s suggestions.

I apologise, I am an apostrophe freak. It should either be �a student �s perception on the teacher �s performance � (are you sure that is the right way round???) or students � perception on teachers � performance. 

15 Feb 2014     

anaram
Spain

Considering your independet variables, I would say:

Is there any effect of students � learning styles and their perception of teachers � performance on reading comprehension

or

Do students � learning styles and  their perception of teachers � performance affect reading comprehension?

When I first read your sentence I thought it was the teachers � learning styles which affected the students � reading comprehension process.

I also like Pink Blossom �s suggestions but I think they both refer to  teachers � learning styles.

Have a nice weekend

15 Feb 2014