Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Need help    

Need help

Maroune
Sri Lanka

Need help

Dear colleagues!
Need your  help again. What do we call the meal that people in some countries have between 5.Pm and 6:00 Pm  between lunch and dinner. I asked an American friend before and told me Coffee time or Tea time. Does it have  a particular name?
Thx a lot in advance. 

16 Feb 2014      

titine69
France

Yes, I think "tea time" in England is correct.
 In France, young people often have a snack after school, we say:"faire 4 heures "even though school finishes at 5pm or 6pm!

Titine

16 Feb 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

We Americans rarely eat such a meal; for most of us, it would an early dinner or supper. Many Americans, especially children coming home from school, would have an afternoon snack around 3:00 or 4:00. If I were in England or another country that did have a meal in addition to dinner, it would be called tea time, I believe. An American coffee break would be midmorning, around 10:00 or so.

16 Feb 2014     

Minka
Slovenia

I would simply call it a snack. I think we should be aware not everything is "translatable". Meals in my country may not be the same as meals in any of the English speaking countries and there may not be suitable English epressions for them. 

16 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hiya Maroune, 6 o �clock is dinner time in England! We don �t have dinner late like in some other countries. On holiday in Spain, the Brits are always desperate for their meal by 7, whereas the Spaniards eat much later. 

In England, there are two systems and I think it �s on a North/South divide. In the North, we have: breakfast, dinner, tea  and supper. In the South: breakfast, lunch and dinner. It �s not so clear-cut though - increasingly people in the North talk about �lunch �. Also, many people call dinner (the 6 pm meal) tea. Including me. I have breakfast, lunch and tea and occasionally, I �ll have a bit of supper. So, Minka makes a good point!

16 Feb 2014     

rashou
Tunisia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: A snack is a small portion of food eaten betweenmeals. The food might be snack food�items like potato chips or baby carrots, but could also simply be a smaller amount of any food item.

16 Feb 2014     

Minka
Slovenia

I often think about it because my students are surprised at the idea of a sandwich and an apple for lunch, so I explain the fact that here are cultural differences between different countries and nations and that we accept a certain translation, but must be aware it is not one hundred per cent accurate, because it cannot be. 

The same goes for school systems and many other things.

From Cambridge dictionary online:

small amount of food that is eaten betweenmeals, or a very small meal:

16 Feb 2014     

dutchboydvh
Singapore

Growing up in Minnesota in the USA, we called the meals breakfast, dinner and supper.  They were eaten in the morning, 12-1pm and 5-6 pm.  Small meals in between were called snacks; morning, afternoon or bedtime snacks.   This being said, the names of the noon and evening meals vary in different parts of the USA; being instead, lunch and dinner (no supper).  I found this confusing as we relocated to different region of the United States.  I learned quickly that one just had to go with the flow, and as they say "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." (Or the Romans look at you like you�re speaking a foreign language.  LOL)

In Singapore, where i believe they follow the British tradition, the meal around 6 is called dinner, where any food eaten after 8-9 pm is called supper.  Afternoon tea is served at various fancy hotels, and they serve sandwiches, cakes and tea of course; but i don�t know anyone who has afternoon "tea" at home.  But then again, i don�t know everyone. :-)

17 Feb 2014     

sarguero
Spain

In Spain it �s called "la merienda" and "merendar" as a verb.

It �s from 5 to 7 more or less. As Lynne said in Spain we have dinner about 9 or later.  Big smile

Breakfast = Desayuno    Lunch = Almuerzo ("la comida")    Tea time = La merienda      Dinner = Cena

17 Feb 2014