Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > codec help    

codec help

edrodmedina
United States

codec help

Hello everyone. I have a bit of a problem. I �ve downloded videos from youtube and other sources before w/o problems. Lately whenever I try to play any of the videos I download I get the following message:
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Ed

18 Feb 2014      

cheezels
New Zealand

Hi Ed, 

Have you tried this player? VLC- It usually does it for me. 

Good luck!

18 Feb 2014     

Imherejjeg
Mexico

you need to donwload a codec pack from internet some of them are free... then your windows media player will be able to play almost any kind of video ... also it helps to other programs that plays video ... good luck ... :)

18 Feb 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

I �m with cheezels. I also use vlc. It plays pretty much everything (you can just drag and drop the whole folder into it when you are not sure which part is the actual video - happens to me when I download movies)
You can download it for free and it installs itself.... 

18 Feb 2014     

perma
Greece

Hi Ed. 
Many videos you download from youtube are .flv files and these cannot be played with any of the above mentioned players nor with any other free player that I know of. I �ve tried some more free players as well as codecs for windows media player and vlc and nothing works. Try to find videos with other extensions on youtube, as .mp4 or .webm
On the other hand vlc plays several videos (other than flv) that windows media player cannot open, so it �s a good idea to have it anyway.

18 Feb 2014     

dennismychina
China

Hi All, There is a freeware program called Free Video Converter available. It converts most formats. I don�t have a direct link but if you �Google� Free Video Converter, you�ll find it.

Also try searching; How to play a flv file.

Enjoy.

18 Feb 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Thank u all 4 ur suggestions. Ed

18 Feb 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Like most of the above contributors I, too, use VLC.  And it plays .flv files from You Tube without a glitch, Perma.  In case you do have problems, YouTube Downloader can convert the .flv files too.  Cheers, Peter.

18 Feb 2014     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Hi Ed,
there is also another free video player -. GOM player. I found this one even better than VLC. You can switch on/off the subtitles or make them smaller or larger.
Oto

19 Feb 2014