Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Moderator ´s work    

Moderator ´s work

s.lefevre
Brazil

Moderator ´s work

Dear moderators.

It𠏋 getting quite tricky to do the moderator𠏋 job because to decide if something is a real worksheet or not has become difficult. In the last days weeks a lot of worksheets with a picture (very cute sometimes) and the instructions: 𡞫escribe the picture� have been sent, or vocabulary lists without a task. In my opinion those are not worksheets because there is no original work from the author. Sometimes, when I report them, other moderators write that the pictures are useful, that lists my help etc. Of course, anything may be useful, but the author should have made some effort. Copying a list or pictures isn㦙 really a big effort. Is it? I would like to know what other moderators think about the question.

19 Feb 2014      

karagozian
France

I do agree that it is quite tricky to decide whether or not a worksheet should stay.  I guess the rules are maybe not clear enough.  It is also true that a ws that seems completely useless to us can be useful for someone else.  Anyway, there must be something in it that makes it original.  I mean too many worksheets are just so plain and ordinary and stick to the rules anyway, and this is not good for the site either.

19 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I so understand your point of view!

I would never upload  or download a ws with just an image and the task "describe the picture", it ´s not enough IMHO but if the image is not copyrighted it ´s following the rules and it can be considered as an ESL ressource even though I find it useless...

as far as vocabulary lists are concerned, it ´s easy to find such lists on the internet, and if there is not task, they should be removed IMO... usually if you copy the list on google, you ´ll find it anyway so it ´s breaking the rules... it ´s the same for the occasional irregular verbs lists we see in the new contributions: it ´s easy to find such lists in ESL books or on the internet so they have no place here unless there ´s a task to go with it (and not a simple task like "translate the verbs")

19 Feb 2014     

jannabanna
France

I totally agree with what ´s been said and I can imagine how difficult it must be to decide which ws should be accepted and which should not.  

If we decide to share our ws here, then we are offering something we have spent time on preparing and think it could be helpful to others.  We can all find pictures and lists on GOOGLE at any time so there ´s no need to upload them here unless, of course, there is an exercise to go with them.

19 Feb 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Ok, but the question is: Can" Describe the picture" been considerated an exercise?

19 Feb 2014     

David Lisgo
Japan

Silvia,
I would not consider such a work to be a ´worksheet �, but it could be considered an ´activity-card �, though personally I think it not enough to say "describe the picture".

What is an "activity-card"? It ´s "a card or set of cards printed with symbols, words, numerals, and/or pictures intended for use by an individual or group in performing a specific action (or set of actions) or in following a pursuit."

But if we accept "describe the picture", then no matter what the picture is it should be accepted as we are not to grade worksheets on merit. So I could use any legal clipart and write under it "describe the picture". Not good I think. IMO any English teacher should be able to come up with something a little more detailed.
"Write 5 questions about the picture and ask your partner."
"List 10 nouns and translate them into L1."
"Describe the activities in the picture."
Etc.

I know that you always try and keep the standards of this group up and your efforts are surely appreciated by many. 

19 Feb 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Silvia,

I absolutely agree with David. We live in the world where it ´s not difficult to find pictures/photos which are adapt for teaching purposes. Any worksheet which is full of invention is welcome. 

Have a good time, as here it ´s raining cats and dogs again and we are preoccupied (!)

Alex

19 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Absolutely agree. A picture from the internet or a text book and an invitation to speak or write about it seems to me completely against the spirit of the site. What if someone were to upload a picture of a rabbit or a zebra, for example, with a fancy border and then � speak about the picture and write about it �, then some lines as if we couldn ´t find some lined paper. 

Great pictures are a boon, but surely we can add some exercises, some personal input?  

19 Feb 2014     

zailda
Brazil

I agree that good pictures are useful, but if most of the "work" uploaded consists of the picture itself, it should be uploaded by its creator. If the only "original work" added is a sentence "Describe the picture" it means (to me, at least) the member is coasting on other person ´s work (the one who created the picture) to get points.

The site is not just about getting points (and maybe points just feed the ego of someone who doesn ´t intend to really "share" something) it ´s all about sharing, caring and helping.

I hope the greed for more and more points doesn ´t change the spirit of our beloved site.

Have a nice day!

Zailda

19 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

This seems to be remaining a gray area. Is it acceptable to upload a picture and a ´speak and write about the picture � or isn ´t it? 
Or does it depend on the quality of the picture and how fancy the border is? Only one person can answer. 

19 Feb 2014