Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Sometimes    

Sometimes

vincenza
Italy

Sometimes

Hi everyone! 
Here �s a question from a native speaker... I �m having difficulty with the frequency adverb "sometimes":  Due to their native language, Italian, my students insist on answering a question like: 
" How often do you go shopping?", with the answer: "I sometimes go shopping".   
As a native speaker, it sounds like something is missing but I can �t think of how to explain "WHY". I �ve thought of saying that we should use "occasionally",  and that "sometimes" is better used after a question like: "Do you play football?"...."Yes, I sometimes play football".  They are only at a level of Trinity 4/5 so maybe I �m just being too demanding!!!?  LOL

19 Feb 2014      

jannabanna
France

I have the same problem with my students who are all translating from their mother tongue - French.  I usually tell them that the answer to "how often" is an expression of frequency, like: once a week; etc and not an adverb of frequency.  

I have always accepted one word answers from my students because I believe in teaching them everyday English.  For example:

Do you play football?  Yes, sometimes.

19 Feb 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Vincenza, 

I don �t think you �re too demanding. If you stop correcting them, most of them won �t pick it up at all later on. Once they have developed a "bad habit" it�s often very difficult to get rid of it... 

Hugs,

Alex

PS. Your explanations seem very good. It�s a question of time.... and they�ll get accustomed to it. 

19 Feb 2014     

debbie6
Canada

We use "sometimes" at the beginning and at the end of a sentence. It can be used in the middle but it sounds better at the beginning or the end.

19 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

To add a little here, I think of "sometimes" as telling "when" more than "how often" (but only loosely speaking). It does so in a very vague way, of course, but that can clarify it a little. It deals more with the fact that the event happens (There are times that I go shopping, but they don �t happen frequently), and that it is sporadic, rather than intending to give the frequency.

Now, a question about Italian, to see if I can better understand the confusion. Are "a volte" and "occasionalmente" interchangeable? I �m guessing that they would answer "a volte" in Italian. If so, then it seems that "a volte" and "sometimes" aren �t exactly the same.

As with many things, this is a very fine point of difference.
Bruce

19 Feb 2014     

vincenza
Italy

Thanks everyone for your most helpful replies!

19 Feb 2014