Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with confusing ´ ´WOULD ´ ´    

Help with confusing ´ ´WOULD ´ ´

manzura
Tajikistan

Help with confusing ´ ´WOULD ´ ´

Dear  teachers!!!   I  teach  children  and  grown-ups.  Today  I  have  explained  Passives  to  my  students.   I  know  that  I  can`t  ask  the  translation  of  some  expressions  because  we don`t  have  the  same  native language.  Anyway  my  students  asked  the  translation of the  sentense   ´ ´Jack  would  send  a  letter ´ ´  and  it`s  Passive.   Please  only  explain  the  meaning  of  would  here.  Is  it  a  past  tense  or  future  or  present  or  a  part ? When can we  use it  in  simple  sentenses?

Thank you  so  much  and  sorry  for  taking  time.  

20 Feb 2014      

yanogator
United States

No need to apologize, because that is one of the reasons for the Forum ´s existence.

"Jack would send a letter" is not passive, so I don ´t understand that part of your question.

Since we don ´t have a context, "would" could be either the simple past or the conditional form of "will". It is more likely that it is conditional.

Q:  How would Jack communicate with his cousin if he didn ´t have a telephone or the internet?
A:  Jack would send a letter.

An example of the other option is this:
When he was younger, Jack would send a letter to his grandmother each week, telling her what he had been up to.

I hope this helps you.
Bruce

20 Feb 2014     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

Nothing to add to Bruce ´s explanation, except that in his 2nd example would (send) is used to express a habitual action in the past. It replaces used to, and is used only for actions ( not states) which were  repeated in the past but now have ceased to happen.

20 Feb 2014     

yanogator
United States

Thanks, mohamed. I didn ´t think to add that information.

Bruce

20 Feb 2014