Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > how can I get in touch with a moderator    

how can I get in touch with a moderator

tanja442
Austria

how can I get in touch with a moderator

Good morning,

today I am really fed up. I prepare my worksheets on my own, do not search around which worksheets already exist and then my worksheets are reported for being a copy or pictures taken out of books, etc....
When I try to contact a moderator to explain that the copies are  not taken out of books but cut out of films, I do not get any answers.
E.g. the gruffalo. Take a look at all the lovely Gruffalo worksheets. I wonder where the pictures are taken from???? Almost all pictures are taken out of books. All worksheets are still online. Mine was made with pictures from a youtube video and was reported immediately. Do they only report new members? And why do moderators never answer any messages?
I really would appreciate an answer because I am the last who intends to copy other ws or brake the rules.
Sorry for using the forum, but as I have been waiting for more than three month for an reply, I had to do it.

Have a nice day,
Tanja

24 Feb 2014      

ELOJOLIE274
France

your ws "winter wonderland" contains a watermarked clipart... the moderators are debating whether it should stay or be removed: i voted for it to be removed since there �s a watermark and the rules are very clear (it �s not because you name the website where you took this picture that they gave you the right to use their picture, it doesn �t mean you contacted them etc...)

when moderators vote on a ws, we really don �t care if it �s a new member or an old one, we care only about the rules... and i �m sure the person who reported your ws - and who is a great member of this community let me assure you - didn �t report it because you �re a new member but because it broke the rule "no watermark".

by the way you �re right about the gruffalo ws, those images are copyrighed, but next time you report a ws please give us the name of the book, website, so we can easily check if you �re right or wrong...

Elodie

24 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Just to throw a spanner in the works, there is a difference between a watermark and a URL.  The printable in question has the latter.

The printable was reported for breach of copyright images, not watermarked images.

I believe that if an (un-watermarked) picture �s source is appropriately cited, then fair use rules for educational purposes apply unless the author is very specific about the usage.

I won �t vote on this one because the website is in a language I don �t speak and therefore I can �t read the terms of use.

Cheers

Jayho

24 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Tanja, I reported the winter wonderland ws and I actually queried: �the author quotes the site she �s taken the image from, so is that OK? � I wanted to know: we are always clarifying the rules on here. By the way, your work on that sheet need not be wasted, that image is on the net, with no watermarks, URL or copyright marks. Why not just lift the image from this worksheet and re-upload it?

Oops, that link didn�t work for me - but if you go on to my contributions, you�ll find that image on the second page. I called it �Snow Fun Time�. It has no marks or anything, just use that. 

All the best!

24 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Jayho,
there is a watermark on the image - if you click on "restore" you �ll see it in the bottom right-hand corner :)

24 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

It �s not on the reporting page anymore Elodie but if it has a watermark then it clearly breaks the rules.  Another moderator on the reporting page indicated that the watermark was in the bottom left corner, which is actually a URL.

Cheers

Jayho

24 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

maybe i �m unclear on what a watermark is...
for me, this is a watermark but it �s also an URL (http://www.123rf.com/)

so if there �s an URL on an image for example

it �s as if there was a watermark, right? - and when a ws is reported as "containing a watermark" or "containing a copyrighted image" it �s the same...

in this case this is what was in the bottom right-hand corner

it can be considered as a watermark = the purpose being that this image belongs to this website and you need it �s permission to use it for commercial purposes etc...

24 Feb 2014     

PhilipR
Thailand

I voted for the Winter Wonderland worksheet to stay, since the doctrine of fair use allows the limited use of copyrighted materials in creative works. The ws was not reported for the use of watermarked images (so small I didn �t actually spot it), so it should not have been removed for that reason unless it was reported again.

I think we should relax and take a deep breath. Revenge reporting will not solve anything, nor will starting a copyright witch hunt. Remember, fair use!

24 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

A watermark appears on the body of the photo/image itself so as to impede the illegal reproduction of it.  Your illustration of the apple is a classic example. A watermark can be anything (inc a URL) and it is placed across or in the middle of the image thus making it obvious that permission is required (via a purchased copy), as with that rosy red apple.

A URL appearing on the bottom of an image is not a watermark.  The URL under the picture of the boy is definitely not a watermark. In fact, the terms of use for that site clearly state that their images are free for personal use.  No purchase is required. It is not a watermark. 

A watermark is not the same as copyright.  Additionally, there is nothing in the eslprintables rules about copyright breaches.  Furthermore, as has been raised here many a time (as well as pointed out by a moderator on the reporting page), teachers can legally use some copyrighted work under fair use rules (for educational purposes).  In my institution, we must always cite our sources.  Copyright is quite different to watermarks. We should not confuse the two.

In the reported printable concerned, I could not see any watermark in the body of the image.  All I could see was a URL in the bottom left hand corner, which another moderator referred to as the watermark.   In my opinion it does not in any way impede the reproduction of this image and so to me it it is not a watermark. You mention that the above watermark was in the bottom right hand corner but I saw that same one on the left side.  I didn �t see one on the right hand side but as it is no longer on the reporting page I cannot verify this.  Anyway, watermark or not, the printable is gone now.  I didn �t vote as I was unable to read the terms of use of the website but I can confidently state that the placement of that URL is not a watermark in terms of my institution�s policies. And my institution is very strict about that sort of thing.

Cheers

Jayho

P.S. Philip, we posted at the same time.  I fully agree with you.

24 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Right, I�ve read this again, trying to understand. But how can we tell what is a url and what is a copyright mark? Or, if the copyright mark is at the bottom of the picture and doesn�t get in the way of the main picture, that is OK for our use? Actually, I happen to agree with Jayho: what is the problem with using images for education purposes? It should be acceptable and people are saying that it is? wners to ask for permission. Clearly, I�ve taken all this copyright nonsense too seriously and I apologise to anybody I�ve reported. 

I�ve edited this as what i said made no sense! ha ha

24 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

This is how I see it:

- It�s ok to use copyrighted images under fair use rules (for educational purposes), as long as you follow those rules (they are different for each country)

- Breaching copyright is not stated in the site rules (so we shouldn�t report on it)

- If it had a watermark it should have been re-reported as such AND the watermark clearly pointed out (like is usually done) because I didn�t see it so it must have been quite small/indiscreet

- Philip wasn�t accusing you of revenge reporting, and he probably doesn�t care if you have asked for permission because he�ll see it as fair use. 

Cheers

Jayho

P.S. The URL is the link address.  Many authors now put this URL at the bottom of their work.  It�s kind of replaced the publisher details that you�d find in a real book. 

24 Feb 2014     

1    2    Next >