Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What does metro resident mean? What is meant by lumber mill town?    

What does metro resident mean? What is meant by lumber mill town?

caren_630
Egypt

What does metro resident mean? What is meant by lumber mill town?

I have a very difficult time trying to figure out the meaning of metro residents vs city residents as well as the meaning of lumber mill town. "Vancouver is ethnically diverse, with 52% of city residents and 43% of Metro residents having a first language other than English" "The city developed rapidly from a small lumber mill town into a metropolitan center."

27 Feb 2014      

yanogator
United States

I �m not sure about the city/metro question, although I would guess that it means "within the legal city limits" vs "in the entire metropolitan area".

A lumber mill is a place where trees are processed into boards (lumber). The town was built around the economy of the lumber mill, so it was a lumber mill town.

Bruce

27 Feb 2014     

Sharwong
Canada

Hi,

So pleased that you are learning about my city!  Metro Vancouver is the same as Greater Vancouver (colloquially) or it means the City of Vancouver geographically and its encompassing suburbs such as Burnaby, Richmond, North and West Vancouver, Langley etc.  You can google Metro Vancouver and find all the information there.  And yes, Bruce, you are correct about Vancouver �s history as a lumber mill town. 

Sharon

27 Feb 2014