Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP! I NEED SOMEBODY ´S HELP! PLEASE SOMEBODY GIVE ME HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! :)    

HELP! I NEED SOMEBODY ´S HELP! PLEASE SOMEBODY GIVE ME HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! :)

Goodboyboy
Brazil

HELP! I NEED SOMEBODY ´S HELP! PLEASE SOMEBODY GIVE ME HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP! :)

Good Morning everyone,

I have  a doubt, let �s see who can help me.  :)

on the sentence...

Who watched the movie? (I can answer)
Ana watched the movie.
It was she.     (because Ana performed the action of the sentence!)
and in the plural????
The boys watched the movie.
It was they?
It were they?

I am confused, and I couldn �t find any reference on the Net till now.

Thanks for your help.

4 Mar 2014      

Goodboyboy
Brazil

I think I have found the answer...

It was he who watched the movie.

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1776549

4 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Times are changing! It was her/it was him/it was them/it was me.  Anything else sounds really stilted - haven �t been used since when I was at school i.e.  before the Punic Wars! Wink

4 Mar 2014     

Zora
Canada

Cunliffe is right. While "It was I" is correct, more often than not, you will hear "It was me". The second form is now accepted as an alternative because of popular usage. In fact, many native speakers would probably think you were wrong to use the construction "It was they" instead of "It was them" just because it sounds wrong. 

btw - It was/is they/we... actually sounds really strange and not natural at all! I �d not recommend the two forms in spoken English.

4 Mar 2014     

yanogator
United States

Lynne, if you were in school before the Punic Wars, I must have been in school before Aeneas and Dido established Carthage!

Bruce

4 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Bruce LOL. A colleague and I at school are much older than the rest of our team and we compete with each other with �age phrases � like this. 

It �s my birthday today - three years short of sixty! I said it! AAAAAgghh!

4 Mar 2014     

Goodboyboy
Brazil

I wanna thank you all for the help, my doubts are solved now, I am teaching written English, essay writting so I believe the odd one is the best option.

:)

5 Mar 2014     

Goodboyboy
Brazil

I wanna thank you all for the help, my doubts are solved now, I am teaching written English, essay writting so I believe the odd one is the best option.

:)

5 Mar 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

Happy belated birthday, Lynne, we �re the same age and have nothing to fear !!

Too young to be demented, mean  and forgetful,
young enough to cope with modern media and communication
old enough for tremendous life experience
young enough to enjoy kids

--- so much speaking for us !!

5 Mar 2014