Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Using PPP and its alternatives in teaching grammar    

Using PPP and its alternatives in teaching grammar

nirvana
Morocco

Using PPP and its alternatives in teaching grammar

What is the value added of using the PPP - i.e. Presentation, Practice, Production in teaching grammar? And what about alternative procedures such as ESA - i.e. Engage, Study and Activate? Your stories of teaching experience using such procedures would contribute a great deal to informed teaching.

Cheers

Salah

7 Mar 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I �ve never heard of these, but I do like the sound of them! I can see them impressing my more gullible colleagues. Can you give us definitions, examples and explanations? 

7 Mar 2014     

nirvana
Morocco

I �m quite befuddled by your nescience in this regard assuming that you �re a language teacher. Having said that, should your inquiry be the product of pure curiosity, you will be irrevocably absolved of such an otherwise unpardonable negligence, and I will be more than pleased to impart my knowledge to a person as humble as you seem to be. 

7 Mar 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Oh my, oh my... what a tone! what haughtiness! I assume you do realise that this is not the way to generate a healthy discussion on the forum.
Why would you ask people to give you their stories and share their experiences of the subject you seem to be so knowledgeable about anyway?
Some teachers, though ignorant of the terms/acronyms, are aware of the principles and use the approaches, they just might call them differently.
PPP, ESA, TBL, PBL, CLIL, TTT, ARC all have advantages and disadvantages in any individual case.
So whatever the acronyms, it �s the essence that matters, i.e. that a teacher places the needs of the learners first, don �t you think?

7 Mar 2014     

nirvana
Morocco

Hello,

First of all, before I start any conversation, I need to ensure that my interlocutor really wants to construct a dialog. If I detect by any chance the use of innuendoes or that sort of things I will be obliged to respond likewise. The comment to which I replied was by the way reeking of irony. Needless to say how that manifested in the text. It �s crystal clear. 
Now, to bring the point home, it wasn �t my intention to provide or to elicit from readers information on the topic I �ve mentioned above. Rather, I wanted to find out how teachers interact with such procedures in their daily practice. For instance, you mentioned yourself that what really counts is being inexorably cognizant of learners � needs. That �s one way of interpreting one �s teaching experience vis-�-vis the grand theories of teaching. It would be awesome if you could elaborate more on this. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Cheers

Salah

7 Mar 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think, you �ve read too much into Lynne �s comment. Of course, I am not her and I can �t state otherwise, but, I believe, judging from my previous experience, you got the wrong impression. Anyway, comments reeking of sarcasm won �t win you any interlocutors here. I will repeat myself, this is not the way to have a decent conversaton. I myself am not a fan of a lofty style, sorry.

7 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Well, something is crystal clear to me.

You�ve got off on the wrong foot.

Cheers

Jayho

7 Mar 2014     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Dear Salah - could you explain these two phrases to me, please?

to throw one�s weight around
king it

This is just  a response of mine to your tone in your threads and comments.
Have a nice weekend and try to relax.
Oto

8 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh no! He�s gone, deleted. I was only joking and I loved his jaunty style. I hope he wasn�t offended. Oh now I feel bad. What can we do to bring him back????

He�s got a website - can somebody give me the address please?

Lynne

8 Mar 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

@Lynne: http://eslprintables.blogspot.com/
I hope my post wasn�t a contributing factor to his decision... Native speakers, have I said something offensive?

8 Mar 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Not at all, Sophie. That was an excellent answer to a pompous prat.
Mind you, like Lynne, I found his combination of sesquipedalian hubris and clumsy idioms quite endearing. And entertaining. I hope he comes back too, but it looks like he �s just thrown all his toys out of the pram.

8 Mar 2014     

1    2    3    Next >