Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day March 8th    

Word of the Day March 8th

sarguero
Spain

Word of the Day March 8th

Dear ESL people, let �s play trying not "fishing" THE REAL MEANING...  ok?  Thumbs Up

SEAFARER

8 Mar 2014      

tahreej
Tunisia

someone travelling by sea

8 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s a noun describing a person who can see much further into the distance than the average Joe. 

SEE - FAR - ER.  (bit of poetic licence with the spelling!) 

8 Mar 2014     

anaram
Spain

I can �t provide a definition because Lynne�s already given the correct one. I just wanted to clarify the etymology of this term. In fact, there�s no license with the spelling because the origin is:

SEE + AFAR + ER. The last E in SEE is syncopated

8 Mar 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

The "real" meaning is given away by the fact that sarguero wrote the word in all capital letters. It �s an acronym for a Swedish animal rights movement using the radio to attempt to prohibit pet foods that cause uncomfortable flatulence in dogs and cats. See?

SE: Internet code for Sweden
AF: audio frequency
AR: animal rights
RE: in reference to
R: the gas constant, used in physics and chemistry

(It was not easy tracking down this meaning, let me tell you! LOL)

8 Mar 2014     

isa2
Austria

@ Lynne: BRAVO!

8 Mar 2014     

isa2
Austria

Today in the British weather forecast: After the long spell of stormy weather, we are happy to announce SEAFARER: that the South East becomes A bit FAIRer. (SE = south east)

8 Mar 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

A voyager who  usually travels by sea is called a seafarer when he goes on  a safari (an overland journey by hunters).
I can �t find better than this definition!        

8 Mar 2014     

miyoko71
Morocco

Seafarer is said for a child who runs far away when his parents want him to swim

8 Mar 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

Actually this word became widely used in in the late 70 �s and early 80 �s. There was a popular TV show some of you might remmember called Charlie �s Angels. One of the main stars was Farrah Fawcett. She became extremely popular and every young lad had a pinup of her. Everywhere one looked one would see farrah. After years of use and misuse,  the words where blended into seafarer and took to mean anyone who is immortalized on a pinup. At this moment Justin Beiber is one of the most popular seafarers. Ed

8 Mar 2014     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

SEAFARER = A Typical sailor �s diet

8 Mar 2014