Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Picture Based Discussion    

Picture Based Discussion

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Picture Based Discussion

Hello all. There is a series of great wss on here, Picture-Based Discussions. This is just the inkling of an idea, the hint of a proposal, but I have been thinking... What if we chose the very best (or them all...), collated, sorted them into groups and looked for a publisher? I �m sure it would be a popular resource. We would give any profits to the site, or to a charity. The members who contribute are jujuka, greni, karagozian and maryse pey�, (apologies if I �ve missed anyone) but I guess this concerns us all, and Victor. 

How would I go about getting permission? Is it a good idea? Any opinions? Karagozian? Maryse? I am excited by this project!!!

Lynne

15 Mar 2014      

dackala
Serbia

It seems as a nice idea. I always wondered why they haven �t published such nice wss like they do on some other sites. I hope this would happen soon!

15 Mar 2014     

maryse pey�
France

Sounds a very good idea ! The problem is that if the whole written part is my work the photos (even if free) are not mine. So I don �t mind at all drawing but I �m not sure that you can take my worksheets like that. As far as we don �t earn money we can share them but the photographic part will have to be changed I �m afraid ! If you are not in a hurry and that it is possible for me to replace the photos by drawn reproductions, I am OK of course ! A big interesting challenge, indeed !!! Hugs. Maryse.

15 Mar 2014     

karagozian
France

Lynne thank you very much for your motivating comments. I wasn �t expecting to be mentioned dear friend. I �ve always felt so small on this fabulous site with so many incredibly creative and dedicated people.  This site and its members helped me to progress substantially in making my own material in a much more attractive and structured way. I feel happy to share what I learned thanks to all of you. Sharing gives ideas and new opportunities. I am addicted to this site and do not upload any worksheets on other sites for a simple reason, it �s time taking and one has only ONE family and this is it. 
Like Maryse I believe that publishing might be complicated. Don �t know anything about "rights". I cannot draw ! So what !
Well, tomorrow is back to school so I �ll be a bit less productive. Thanks again Lynne.

15 Mar 2014     

PhilipR
Thailand

Not to throw cold water on your idea, but isn �t publishing real books a bit old school? When was the last time you bought a real printed resource book? I can �t remember to be honest.

Now of course this doesn �t mean publishing is out of the question. After having sorted out the ugly copyright maze, why not publish yourself in digital format and offer it for sale in the App Store, Google Play, digital download websites (Amazon and the likes) etc.? This is a much easier route to getting published. Btw, the idea of this sort of publishing is to charge a small fee for download and try to get many to do so.

Just an alternative idea to publishing. Still, I for one don �t dig the idea of buying books full of resources. I prefer to download them when I need them. Is there anything better than the Internet? Cool

15 Mar 2014     

Jayho
Australia

I still do buy real books Philip, and they are far more affordable these days. I  Heart my books.

I have some esl e-books and they do take a bit of getting used to.  I also subscribe to paid ESL websites and they are a real boon, as is this site.

It �s  a great idea Lynne but the copyright issue is huge.  You �d have to get permission from the owner of each image.  

Frank once co-ordinated a book and it was a great combined effort.  You can read about the book here.

Cheers

Jayho 

15 Mar 2014     

dackala
Serbia

I wanted to mention copyright on the images, but, since all the profit is supposed to be for charity than maybe you would not have to ask for permission to publish, only to name the source. I �m not familiar with legal issues, so I don �t really know.

15 Mar 2014     

bermudenze
Argentina

Search here and you won`t have any legal issues.

15 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks all, for the answers and jayho and bermudenze for the links. Just back in after a busy day. I will give some thought to this tomorrow. 

Lynne

15 Mar 2014