Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tense confusion    

Tense confusion

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

Tense confusion

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask you something, since I am a bit unsure.
Is it in any way correct to say:

� �Did the man work all night? � �

or just stick to the past continuous since it has � �all night � �?  And if both are correct, is there a difference in meaning?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

22 Mar 2014      

EstherLee76
Peru

You can use either the simple past or the past continuous in this case.

22 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

It �s fine. It �s a finished action. Statement � The man worked all night. � Question �Did the man work all night? � 

22 Mar 2014     

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

Thank you for your answers. Sometimes, teaching too much by the book (and the grammar rules) makes you disregard the feeling of language.

22 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

....Whereas I, Koenigin, as a native speaker, generally know what �s what, but I can �t really explain why!!! 

22 Mar 2014     

jannabanna
France

I agree Lynne, as a native speaker, that �s a difficult one to explain, but if you take these sentences:

I �ve been working all day today.
I worked all day yesterday.  ("I was working all day yesterday" - seems strange to me and I don �t know why - what do you other native speakers think?)

I haven �t used the same tenses as Koenigin, but I was trying to show that "all day" doesn �t necessarily need a continuous form.

Janet

23 Mar 2014