Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "plot"     

"plot"

elderberrywine
Germany

"plot"

How do you explain to younger students what "plot" in literature is - as opposed to just action?
I am thinking of making my students write a reading log which I don �t just want to be a summary of the chapters of the book, but an analysis of plot.

23 Mar 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

By giving examples. Read a couple of stories and lead them in the analysis of the plot, then they �ll know what you mean by that.

23 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I term it �the storyline. � My teacher used to draw it on the board to show us. She drew a sort of semi-circle, like a brontosaurus - very narrow at one end - the beginning - the hump in the middle all the action and the culmination- then the tail - the ending. 

23 Mar 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

I don �t mean the "first this happens, then the next thing happens", but I mean plot in the sense of motives, consequences, conflicts, twists and turns etc.

23 Mar 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well, the plot is the storyline, or what happens. If you don �t want a  straightforward recount, but you want them to analyse, critique, deduce, etc..you need to go with what Sophia says and show by example. I would start off with a re-tell �he did this and then he did that �.. and then ask, but why? What are the implications? What did he hope to achieve? etc...
It �s not easy. At the moment, with the classes I �ve got, a summary would be great. Cry

23 Mar 2014