Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > past perfect?    

past perfect?

ueslteacher
Ukraine

past perfect?

What would be the grammatically correct choice here:
Eric moved/had moved to the USA decades ago, before the eastern and western part of both Berlin and Germany were reunited in 1990.
I need this for a key for an exam paper. There �s an indication of the first action happening prior to the second one but the first sentence also has "decades ago". So what would you use? 
Sophia

23 Mar 2014      

maryse pey�
France

Hi Sophia, with "ago" only simple past, so "moved" here. With "had moved" you would have "decades before". Hugs. Maryse.

23 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

My first thought is to use simple past (moved)--"decades ago" sets the specific time in the past and the comma offers a good separation from the two clauses.

EDIT: and my second thought says both would work Confused

Cheers,
Douglas

24 Mar 2014     

lurdesilva
Portugal

Hi, Sophia! I also think the past simple is the correct/best option. Have a nice day!

24 Mar 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you all for taking your time to share your opinions with me.
Anyone else willing to share? The more the better.

24 Mar 2014     

douglas
United States

The more I look around online the more it seems that "ago" just doesn �t fit with the past perfect.

24 Mar 2014