Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > English Speaking Club / I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS! PLEASE!    

English Speaking Club / I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS! PLEASE!

sashaperelygin
Russian Federation

English Speaking Club / I NEED YOUR HELP GUYS! PLEASE!

So we have English speaking club in our city. It �s totally free. People just come and talk. Recently we decided to talk on topics. One topic per meeting. Somebody really likes that idea, but some people don �t. We are trying do best, but the problem is that we don �t know how to find the way to all people. I don �t want misunderstandings in our club. I love all people and wanna hear every opinion. 
We find some interesting topics, prepare vocabulary, even some games... But I want find psychological way. May be some ice breaking games, surveys or smth... So please write down your tips and tricks. May be here I can find some people who have organised speaking clubs before... Your experience would be helpful!!!
Looking forward thanks for your responding!
Best regards, Alex 

9 Apr 2014      

sashaperelygin
Russian Federation

Please!Heart

9 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Some nice icebreakers here:
Now stop it Alex. Delete the other posts.  

9 Apr 2014     

joannajs
Poland

To get them started you can invest in some M&Ms candy (or any other that would be colourful) and assign several questions to each colour. They pick the candy, look at its colour and answer the question of choice corresponding to the colour. Somebody on this website came up with this brilliant idea.
You will have to come up with some questions that would be possibly adequate for kids, teens or adults, since anyone is invited. So for children something to the effect of : what �s your favourite school subject? Tell me something about one of your teachers, What kind of pet would you like to have and why? What kind of sport do you enjoy and why? Describe your room, tell me something about your best friend etc.
For adults you �d have to think about subject they would be comfortable talking: perhaps favourite way of spending free time, dream holiday, best meal they have ever tried, interesting programme they have seen on TV, something they would like to buy soon etc.

That would be suitable for warm-up. To keep these discussions going somewhere sensibly I would keep them focused on a certain theme each time eg. family and changes in it; health & fitness, the world of work or whatever you feel they might be interested in. I �d probably prepare a vocabulary list ahead of time, xerox it and hand it out to them, so it would be easier for you to conduct your discussion and they might have the sense of accomplishment. Lots of our colleagues from this site have prepared thematic discussion lists that you can download. Another helpful hint is to come up with a game board, dice and counters asking participants to speak for a minute/half a minute on topics you write on this board. 
If you want to review vocabulary you give them, you can play a Taboo game (you prepare cards with a word you want a student to pass to his/her team without saying 3 other related words like: they have to pass the word SCHOOL without saying TEACHER, STUDENT, BUILDING), Guesstures game (miming words - you need an hourglass or egg timer to give them a time limit) or Pictionary (they have to draw vocabulary - also with a time limit). 
Hope this helps you a little and your class will be an amazing success!

best,

joanna

9 Apr 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Please, delete your identical threads below as it �s against the rules of the forum.

Maybe you �ll like the role-plays
These are creative writing prompts but they can easily be used to generate discussion.

9 Apr 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

You could ask people to make a list and say what they want to talk about.

10 Apr 2014     

sashaperelygin
Russian Federation

cunliffejoannajsueslteachers.lefevre Thank you!!!!! I really appreciate it! Will try every peace of advice!Big smile

10 Apr 2014     

Doot
Canada

I often use activities from some books I purchased from Alanna Jones.  She has the best ideas for team building, icebreakers etc.  If you look on amazon.com you can take a peek at some.

10 Apr 2014     

sashaperelygin
Russian Federation

Doot Thanks a lot! It �s really powerful advice! I like reading :)

10 Apr 2014