Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Listening exercise: argument and debate phrases    

Listening exercise: argument and debate phrases

FrauSue
France

Listening exercise: argument and debate phrases

Dear all,

I am hoping to do a lesson on argument and debate phrases (first of all, however, on the other hand, in conclusion etc.). I have plenty of written resources on this but would like to do a listening exercise too. Does anyone know of a listening passage which includes examples of these phrases in use? It �s for lyc�e students, so B2 level would be about right, but C1 is doable too as it will be a gap-fill type of exercise. Ideally I �m looking for a recording of a presentation or a discussion. There are some resources here:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/radio/specials/1756_how_to_discuss/index.shtml 
but ideally I �d like a single recording which includes examples of a few different kinds of phrase.

Thank you in advance!

13 Apr 2014      

Jayho
Australia

Hi FrauSue

It is indeed quite challenging to find listening exercises on debates.

I love teaching debating and when I do I use Youtube videos of school debating competitions.  Take a look here and here.  Maybe you�ll find something that you can use as the basis of a gapfill.

Cheers

Jayho

14 Apr 2014     

FrauSue
France

Thank you, Jayho - it �s good to know I am not the only one. In the end I downloaded a couple of podcasts from the BBC radio 4 website which contained opinion phrases (Any Answers? and Women �s Hour).

17 Apr 2014