Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Cursive vs Print    

Cursive vs Print

manonski (f)
Canada

Cursive vs Print

Hi everyone

As you know, some schools are giving up teaching cursive writing or print. We are debating what we should do in my school and was wondering what are students learning in your part of the world when they start learning how to write.

Do they learn print first, then cursive? Is it the other way around? Have you stopped teaching one?

Looking forward your answers.

Wishing you a good day!

23 Apr 2014      

anaram
Spain

Hi,

There �s no general rule in Spain but I would say that either they start with print, and then move on to cursive, when kids are able to write more accurately (which seems to be the most common practice nowadays) or they start with cursive straight-away. I don �t think anybody here is giving up cursive.

Best wishes

23 Apr 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

In the USA, printing is always taught first, and many schools are foregoing cursive instruction in favor of keyboarding. I teach neither, but that �s because my students are all adults with some knowledge of writing in English.

23 Apr 2014     

Lizzie74
Italy

In Italy they are mostly  taught at the same time.
Best wishes

23 Apr 2014     

mariannina
Italy

I was taught to teach print first, all capital letters, after that script and cursive. Children don �t have a fine motor skill and they need practice and assistance to develop a good autonomy in writing. Frankly speaking, a lot of teachers don �t follow those steps and teach all the three types of writing at the same time.
Ciao

23 Apr 2014