Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > help with translation     

help with translation

angelamoreyra
Argentina

help with translation

hi can you help me with this word? how do you say this word in English? it is Spanish  
 " osteo artro muscular" thanks a lot for your time.I can �t find the word in English.

23 Apr 2014      

yanogator
United States

We use "osteo" and "muscular" in English. I �m guessing that "artro" has to do with the blood vessels, but I �m not sure what the medical term for that would be.

So, we could talk about the osteo-      -muscular system, using the appropriate term between the hyphens.

I think you are looking for the medical terminology here.

Bruce

23 Apr 2014     

xxptbxx
Saudi Arabia

I taught English for Medicine last year, and from my medical dictionary I have extracted all the �o � listings as follows:

open fracture

orthopedic surgeon (or-thoh-PEE-dick) 

orthotic (or-THOT-ick)

osteitis (oss-tee-EYE-tis)

osteoarthritis (oss-tee-oh-ar-THRIGH-tis) 

osteochondroma (oss-tee-oh-kon-DROH-mah)

osteoclasis (oss-tee-OCK-lah-sis)

osteomalacia (oss-tee-oh-mah-LAY-shee-ah) h osteomyelitis (oss-tee-oh-my-eh-LYE-tis)

osteonecrosis (oss-tee-oh-neh-KROH-sis)

osteopenia (oss-tee-oh-PEE-nee-ah)

osteoporosis (oss-tee-oh-poh-ROH-sis)

osteoporotic hip fracture (oss-tee-oh-pah-ROT-ick)

osteorrhaphy (oss-tee-OR-ah-fee)

I don �t see your word(s) there. Are you sure you �ve got it right? It doesn �t sound as if you have. It certainly isn �t a correct description of any of the human body systems.

23 Apr 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

"Arthro" or "artro" can also refer to "joint," such as in the word "arthritis/artritis." So a literal translation is "bone joint muscular." However, lacking real knowledge of Spanish or context, I �m not sure if you are referring to the musculo-skeletal system of the body or the tissue that connects bone to muscles at the joints, or tendons. I hope this helps you figure it out.

23 Apr 2014     

florimago
Spain

I �m Spanish but...not a doctor so this is a hard translation for us in my opinion. However , we must think that most of this stuff comes from latin so the translation might be as easy as " osteo arthro muscular " .

23 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

Oh, I didn �t think of the similiarity between "artro" and "arthro". Yes, we would say "osteo-arthro-muscular" (using hyphens).

Bruce

23 Apr 2014     

florimago
Spain

Bruce, just for curiosity, do you think there�s any difference between artro and arthro ?

23 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

Well, Flori, I was just guessing to begin with. Does "artro" mean "joint"? If so, then I think there is no difference. If not, then I �m wrong about it anyway.

Bruce

24 Apr 2014