Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Classroom Games     

Classroom Games

nounou96
Albania

Classroom Games

Hi everyone, I hope you are doing well

I need your help. I�ll throw a party  for my esl students and their mothers are also coming  to class. I want everyone to have fun that �s why I am thinking of doing some games . Any ideas ??? What kind of games mothers and students can play together ???  

24 Apr 2014      

manonski (f)
Canada

It would help if you gave us the age group and level of your students.

24 Apr 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I remember a mother �s day party at my son �s kindergarten when they made moms dance with their sons but we had to hold a balloon between our foreheads:) It wasn �t that easy especially when the music was fast:) The pair that managed to keep the balloon and at the same time do some nice moves won.

24 Apr 2014     

nounou96
Albania

Students are between 8 and 14 years old 

24 Apr 2014     

Doot
Canada

Musical chairs but call it a cupcake walk and the winner wins a cupcake, team games like charades, 5 minute rule, even bingo but make it english bingo.

24 Apr 2014     

Rominamino
Chile

You could try playing "Simon says", parents and children are teams, and each time a team loses they must sit down, until you have a winner.

Try to start with easy verbs, and then more and more complex, such as... Simon says, jump!
(easy) Simon says, touch your left ear with your right hand! (complex)

24 Apr 2014     

maii89
Poland

I think taboo is the best solution they can either describe a thing or show it as well as draw it. It always works. Or you can make a quizz about general knowledge. They will get into pairs mother+ student. The questions can be in English so some students will have to translate them to their parent. Because parents have more experiance and knowledge they can come up with the answer, which also will be translated by the student to you:) Or if mothers know English you can create a set of questions taht will check how much mothers know about their children/ students do the same and at the end they compare their answers. Good luck maii89:)

25 Apr 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

As to the balloon dance, which I mentioned, it could be fun for any age, I for one really enjoyed it:) especially if you do it to a medley in which different music styles are mixed and you have to follow the tune:)

-"hidden pictures" if you have a smart board, you can choose some interesting pictures (maybe even the pictures of your students and have the parents guess who they are) and use a free template here (there are also taboo and jeopardy templates)

-"who wants to be a millionaire" is another option and the ppt templates for it are also available in the net;

- "guess what it is" is another visual game, you can see some examples here

You can organize a "mystery night" with  a role-play and have the participants play their roles and find out who the criminal is (thief/killer? depending on the plot you choose) 

- karaoke? 

- quiz game with teams competing against each other in general knowledge...

25 Apr 2014     

nounou96
Albania

25 Apr 2014