Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Regarding: With regard to or with reads to???    

Regarding: With regard to or with reads to???

spinney
United Kingdom

Regarding: With regard to or with reads to???

Hi People!
I �m proof-reading a report for one of my students and she keeps putting "with regard to blah blah blah ..." I keep changing it to "with regards to blah blah blah ..." I �d rather avoid using the gerund form if possible (it �s a very formal report). The trouble is, Im starting to think she may be right. What do you think? Are both forms OK? Confused

26 Apr 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi Spinney - I think your student is right - with regard to blah de blah is correct. Or regarding blah de blah.. 
Regards to... is according credit.  

26 Apr 2014     

spinney
United Kingdom

Well, I �ll be a monkey �s uncle! Thanks for pointing that out, Lynne. I must have been thinking of "as regards ..." 

26 Apr 2014     

Daisee
Vietnam

See this nice explanation here Spinney http://www.netwhisperer.com/2011/07/27/grammar-guide-6-regard-vs-regards/

26 Apr 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Sorry but I agree with your student. I can empathize with your confusion because I think as teachers we are so often surrounded by incorrect grammar that we start not to notice and worse still, it begins to sound normal. Words such as �share mate � and �so-so � are examples that I have heard. Do you ever find that when a student asks a question you just know it �s wrong but you can �t think of the alternative?

27 Apr 2014     

almaz
United Kingdom

Irregardless of the above link (Wink), Merriam-Webster �s Dictionary of English Usage points out that "in regard to, with regard to, as regards, and regarding...are all perfectly standard". In regards to is definitely regarded more as an oral use, so it �s no great stretch to see how with regards to can sneak into everyday spoken English as well.

27 Apr 2014     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks for your input people! As it goes, her report has given me a few new words which, initially, I was going to correct;

benefication
societal
valorize

and a couple more that I have already forgotten. Actually, it �s been an education. Wink

27 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Wow, Spinney, this is high level stuff! Your attitude is great. When I was at uni (yeah, yeah, back in The Punic Wars etc), a lecturer crossed a word out that I �d used in a brilliant (it was!) essay, saying it didn �t exist, but it did, as a look in a dictionary would have proved!!! Wish I could remember what it was. Anyway, on my next assignment, she put a line through �separate � and wrote �seperate �. Can you believe it? This time, I pointed her mistake out. She never spoke to me again. Disapprove 
Edit: I�ve remembered it! The word I used was �shirk� as in �to shirk one�s responsibilities.�  

27 Apr 2014     

spinney
United Kingdom

Actually, Lynne, I remember people using "shirk" and "shirkers" when I was a youngster. In fact, a very good friend of mine wrote a song with it. Rhymes with "work," ironically enough. As for that for that lecturer, sounds as if they were a tad stressed and uptight. I had a similar one but, as I was a mature student, was able to look down my nose at him. Big smile

27 Apr 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I always bring a dictionary whenever I am to mark essays:)
@Lynne: I remember when I was asked to help my friend �s daughter with her homework on eating habits and I suggested she use the word "pasta" and she sure came back the next day with "pasta" corrected into "paste" as according to her teacher there was no such word in the dictionary. Well, guess what I showed the kidWink

27 Apr 2014