Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Educational goals should be reevaluated... No Child Left Behind    

Educational goals should be reevaluated... No Child Left Behind

LibraMomma
United States

Educational goals should be reevaluated... No Child Left Behind

I am looking for worksheets for my 11 year old daughter. I am currently trying to teach her about eating disorders, the importance of not skipping meals. I also like to do spelling tests at home to improve her vocabulary and spelling. Any spelling, and writing worksheets are super helpful.

Shouldn �t educational tools be shared freely? Shouldn �t every child have access to the best possible education?

I have nothing to contribute but yet I am still a parent trying to teach my child the best I can. These resources would be incredibly helpful. It is incredibly disappointing to be denied access to these resources knowing my child would benefit greatly from them.

What should I do now?

26 Apr 2014      

manonski (f)
Canada

This is a sharing site. The sharing is what makes this site full of interesting and varied contributions. The templates are free to download. In no time, you will have something to contribute too.

26 Apr 2014     

Daisee
Vietnam

You can get nice free parent resources here http://www.discoveryeducation.com/parents/index.cfm?campaign=flyout_parents

26 Apr 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

There are lots of sites which offer free educational resources, including the ones which specialize in homeschooling, you just have to put some effort into searching.
Here �s another ESL website which offers free resources:
http://busyteacher.org/ - you �ll have to rigister though
You can find resources here as well

26 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

As a parent, I urge you to back off giving worksheets to your daughter. Support her with her homework, be a listening ear etc... Don �t be an extra teacher. Do fun things with her. I hope you don �t find my advice patronising, but I �ve been there, done that and it �s not worth it.  

27 Apr 2014     

morenopalomares
Spain

I fully agree with you, Cunliffe.

27 Apr 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

I �m with Lynne! (cunliffe)

27 Apr 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

Lynne (Cunliff) is quite right. Education is first and foremost delivered through example, and not through worksheets. Kids of all ages do as we do, not as we say! Replacing worksheets about eating disorders with an example of an healthy lifestyle is far more effective. Have meals together, and switch the TV off. (I know, it �s a prejudice about Americans always having the TV on 24/7). And as UESL Teacher said, there is heaps out there, so do a research. But we �re here to help, too, so, my personal favourite is "The Good Child" by Noel Swanson. He �s not out to teach the kids, but the parents! Works wonders! Cheers, Peter

27 Apr 2014     

LibraMomma
United States

Thanks so much for all the replies and great advice.

I must say though;

Public schools are failing in most areas of education and so many topics that should be covered are not even mentioned these days. My child comes home most days with one piece of paper for homework and it is always either math or science. Half of the school year she hasn �t even had any spelling homework, writing homework, or anything in regards to emotional intelligence.

I also would like to add that by just modeling good behaviors for our children it is not as effective as getting them involved in the learning and critical thinking on these topics. I want my daughter to understand these concepts not just see them. and with all the influences from her peers and other adults I want her to apply her own thinking and reasoning skills to navigate these topics. That is why I choose to do worksheets at home and of course we then talk about her answers and go over the concepts together.

27 Apr 2014