Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Having a tutor in my class for the first time! Advice, please!    

Having a tutor in my class for the first time! Advice, please!

carinita
Argentina

Having a tutor in my class for the first time! Advice, please!

Hi!Today I started working in a 2nd course at secondary school (I �m teaching several courses of English at the moment) In this course, there is also a tutor working. This tutor knows the group, she took the post before I took mine...I �m a substitute teacher.
I realized today that she is great at connecting with those students. They are 14 year old and more closer to her in age than to me.
She is not a teacher. Tutors in my country are not usually teachers. They often manage English but haven �t  pursued a teaching career.
The thing is...she speaks/ moves around the classroom and most of the students are mesmerized!! I �m not that attractive (((to them LOL))) and I think it is going to be difficult for me to get their attention.
Students have English twice a week and the tutor si coming only once a week for 40 minutes. Should I ask her to present a specific gramatical structure? In which ways could I get profit of her "stage" or "acting" abilities.
WHAT SHOULD I ASK HER TO DO??
Help me in this one, please Thumbs Up
P.S. One of the students boldly asked: Who is more important the teacher or the tutor? I was like Wacko and the tutor said "Both are important"

28 Apr 2014      

Doot
Canada

We don �t have tutors in Canada but we do have Support workers as well as Student Assistants who get their mark for assisting in my class.  Although they are all important in the classroom, at the end of the day I am the teacher and have gone to university to do this job.  I have worked with TA �s at the university level and they support students, they work one on one with students having difficulties or they could even take out a group and do something with them but they Do Not teach the class.  You will confuse this group as to who the teacher is.  If you need some time to connect with the group, keep her busy with other tasks for a class or two such as photocopying, cutting activity cards, marking etc and this allows you some time to be the key person in the classrrom.  Hope that helps.

28 Apr 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Interesting comment, thanks

28 Apr 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Do you really know what her task is? Why she is there and what is expected. If you don �t know, ask a fellow teacher with some experience with tutors or your principal. Once you know what she should do, you should talk to her and make it clear which task each person has in the classroom. She is not there to take initiatives; she is there to follow your leading. That doesn �t mean that she can �t have good ideas, she just has to tell you first and you decide what will be done in the classroom. It might be quite interesting for you to have a helper.

29 Apr 2014