Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > to clock billable hours definition    

to clock billable hours definition

mari_18cf
Brazil

to clock billable hours definition

to clock billable hours

What does it mean?

"will says you clocked the highest billagle hours at the firm"

29 Apr 2014      

edrodmedina
United States

The amount of time a lawyer can bill or charge a client for. Ed

29 Apr 2014     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Would you give me a synonym for the verb clock?

29 Apr 2014     

yanogator
United States

"clock" essentially means to perform work and record the amount of time spent. In many situations, you could just say "record".

Bruce

29 Apr 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In England, this is �clock up �. �To clock � means to see or notice. �Did you clock that??? � It also mans to hit somebody with something as in �she clocked him over the head with a rolling pin. � 

29 Apr 2014     

eslchick
United States

"added up"

29 Apr 2014     

douglas
United States

My take on it:  "clocked" generally means "achieved" or "registered" - it is a reference to racing "I clocked the horse at 40 miles per hour"-- which means he used his clock (watch or other measuring device) to determine the horse�s speed and the result was... This reference has moved into most forms of racing and into everyday life where it  refers to achieving or registering some measurable total  (usually) in a competitive kind of way.

In your example it refers to the time clock used to register/record working hours.

30 Apr 2014     

jannabanna
France

Just to add to what has already been said:

Phrasal verb � �clock on� = when workers clock on at a factory or office, they put a special card into a device to show what time they arrive and �clock out/off� when they leave. 

Examples:

They arrived to clock on and found the factory gates locked.

She had clocked out of her bank at 5:02 pm using her plastic card.

Janet

30 Apr 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

as far as I know from reading John Grisham, US lawyers charge you in 10-minutes unitsfor the work they do
10 minutes would be a billable time unit, and I suppose if he works for you for 11 minutes he bills 20 ...

1 May 2014     

mari_18cf
Brazil

Awesome! Thanks!

15 May 2014