Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > past perfect and past perfect continuous    

past perfect and past perfect continuous

Ruwayda37
Egypt

past perfect and past perfect continuous

Hello follow teachers, I was wondering if you could help me understand the difference in meaning between the two sentences: 1. What were you doing when you hurt your finger? 2. What had you been doing when you hurt your finger? I also need to understand when to say "I �d met him before" and "I �ve met him before. " Thanks a lot.

29 Apr 2014      

kons
Morocco

Hi,
�I �d met him before I came to school �(for example) means that the action of meeting him happened before coming to school, �while I �ve met him � means that you met the person some time before now, but the exact time is either not mentioned or not known.
Kons

29 Apr 2014     

kons
Morocco

Concerning the difference between these questions:
1.  �What were you doing when you hurt your finger? �  means that the action of hurting your finger happened in the middle of the action of doing something. That is to say, one action was continous in the past and another one happened.
2. �What had you been doing when you hurt your finger? �  means that the action of doing something was continous and happened before you hurt your fingers, but I think the word �when � should be replaced by �before �.
I hope I �m to the point. 
Kons

29 Apr 2014     

Ruwayda37
Egypt

Thank you very much for this answer. I hope what I got is right:The past continuous is interrupted by a past simple action and thus not finished by the time it is interrupted but the past perfect continuous action lasted for some time but had finished by the time it was interrupted by the past simple action. Am I right?

29 Apr 2014     

kons
Morocco

yes, "but the past perfect continuous action lasted for some time but had finished before the 2nd action started."
kons

29 Apr 2014