Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS    

PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS

AJFC
Portugal

PRESENT PERFECT CONTINUOUS

Hello, everyone! I �m teaching the Present Perfect Continuous and I �ve come accross with an exercise that interested me, but it has no key. Could you help me, please? Thanks in advance! A. Pay attention to the following sentences. 1. There you are at last! I�ve been waiting for ages. I�m sure you�ve lost your time playing computer games. 2. We�ve been living in this smart house for 5 years. 3. His eyes are inflamed because he�s been playing computer games all night. 4. I can�t concentrate with this noise � they�ve been playing loud music on their computer all night. 5. He�s been sending text messages for so long that his mobile phone has run out of battery. 6. It�s been raining since I woke up this morning. So I�ll text Jen to tell her I won�t go out with her. Match them with their corresponding language function: a. a continuous or repeated activity that started in the past and is still continuing: b. a continuous or repeated activity that started in the past and has just finished: c. a completed continuous activity that has present results:

1 May 2014      

anaram
Spain

I would say:

a: 2, 4, 6
b: 1,
c: 3, 5

I hope it helps

1 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

I would say

1 - b
2 - a
3 - a or b (depending on the time of day when it is said - "a" if the sun hasn �t yet risen, "b" if it has)
4 - a
5 - c (although I would really call it "b", because I see "c" as the present perfect, not the present perfect continuous)
6 - a

The only one I completely disagree with anaram on is #3. If the activity had been completed, the sentence would be, "His eyes are inflamed because was playing computer games all night."

Bruce

1 May 2014     

AJFC
Portugal

VERY USEFUL! THANK YOU BOTH :)

1 May 2014