Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I NEED YOUR HELP! 1) A READER 2) A MUSICAL FOR YOUNG STUDENTS    

I NEED YOUR HELP! 1) A READER 2) A MUSICAL FOR YOUNG STUDENTS

paugyg
Argentina

I NEED YOUR HELP! 1) A READER 2) A MUSICAL FOR YOUNG STUDENTS

Hello everyone and thanks for your help in advance!
I need your help regarding two issues, feel free to share your thoughts on either one

1) I �m looking for a ESL reader for young learners (8 year-olds, beginners). I �ve been browsing the internet but all I �ve found so far are readers of movies turned into books, which I �m not a fan of. I �d like my students to read an original work of fiction. I �m looking for something fun and enganging with a big pay-off in terms of post-reading activities/projects. 
I �ve seen some books I liked and I thought were amazing but they were too long or a bit ahead of the level I �m teaching ("Amelia Bedelia" series, "Judy Moody" series, "Alien in my pocket" series).

2) In the few weeks I �ve been teaching my students, I learned they really love music, signing and dancing. So I �m planning on putting their skills to use for our "Open Day" class towards the end of the year (parents attend a class with their children). I wanted to do a short musical, or even create a musical using snippets of hit songs (telling a story through songs, a la "Across the Universe" but not so ambitious of course) but I �d like to know if anyone has ever done anything similar before or if you ever came across something like this on the web so I can take a look at it. I think it would be super difficult to start something like this from scratch, I �d like to have some sort of basic outline for the play.

I know I �m being too picky. but if anyone has any ideas, do share!
THANKS! Big smile

1 May 2014      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

1) Have you seen the readers from Express Publishing? BTW for some of them they offer free word lists
2) I �ve done a play in a summer drama camp with teens. I tried to incorporate some songs from famous American musicals (not modern though) Have a look here, maybe you can adapt it for your situation.
P.S. just noticed some youtube links in the worksheet are not working so I am going to update the document in a moment and I hope it�ll be available soon. But if you already downloaded it, you can try looking for a working video on youtube by simply typing in the name of the song or the first line...

1 May 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Have a look at the series:  

Longman -  Structural readers

Oxford � Bookworms

Oxford � Dominoes

Oxford � Dolphin Readers

Peguin Readers

Cambridge � Storytrails

Foundations � Reading Library

Richmond � Modern readers

Macmillan � Children�s readers

Macmillan � Ranger fiction

Thomson � Foundations � Reading Library

Collins � English Library

Scholastic

I have used books from all of these series and my students liked them very much.

2 May 2014     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

I can recommend Usborne books - they have a whole easy reader series designed to get kids reading.

3 May 2014     

paugyg
Argentina

@ueslteacher: Wow, I saw the preview of your play and that �s the closest thing to what I was looking for! I couldn �t find anything like it on the web, you know, a short story or play told through popular song lyrics. I �ll definitely check yours out when the time comes, I �ll probably use it as inspiration to make one of my own from scratch! THANK YOU! Hug

@s.lefevre: Thanks for your suggestions, I know most of these publishing houses, I was looking for more specific examples, some book titles in particular.

@cindyfreksen:  I checked the link you suggested, and they do offer some interesting stuff, but I should have made a footnote on my original post: I live in Argentina and currently we have a lot of problems importing pretty much everything and buying things in U.S. dollars or pretty much any other currency, so on top of trying to find something that might be of interest to me and my students, I need to make sure that it can be readily available to us. Usually we don �t have any kind of troubles with the major publishing houses (you know, Longman, Oxford, Richmond, Macmillan).

THANKS SO MUCH EVERYONE!
And if you have any ideas for my crazy musical idea, let me know!!

5 May 2014