Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Shout or yell?     

Shout or yell?

izulia
China

Shout or yell?

Hello dear colleagues,

Anyone who �s worked with 3-5 year olds would know that most of the time if they want to say something, they would say it at the top of their lungs. As I am working with this age group full time, I have to remind them several times a day to speak in a soft voice. 

My question is, which word is more appropriate to use when I want them to stop speaking so loudly: "No shouting, please!" or "No yelling, please?" 

Thank you

16 May 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No shouting.  

Or �No shouting, you little blighters!� Wink

16 May 2014     

Doot
Canada

We often say " Use your inside voices" which also means No shouting!

16 May 2014     

Jayho
Australia

To add to Doot�s reply:

(Remember to) use your soft voice
(Remember to) use your quiet voice

also mean no shouting/yelling

Cheers

Jayho

16 May 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I �m with Doot and Jayho on this. 
They say that positive commands are better accepted, something to do with human psychology:)

17 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

That �s good advice from Jayho, Doot & Sophia - and for older students �Speak quietly, please �, or �Lower your voices �, with a suitable gesture from you. A phrase a lot of teachers use to the whole class is �Bring the noise down a little �. However, if a student is really being a pain and shouting aggressively at another student, the usual command is �Stop shouting. � 

17 May 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

The above advice of using positive statements is the best. It �s not psychological, USL Teacher, but it �s because the brain is not capable to interpret negative statements, despite the fact we use them a lot. So, "don �t shout" means "shout". "Don �t cross the street" becomes "cross the street", and "don �t lose your keys" means "lose your keys". Positive statements like the ones mentioned above, "Use your lower voice," mean nothing else but lower your voice. "Speak softly" can �t be misinterpreted either. "Remember your keys", "stay on the footpath" and so on, they all work wonders. Give it go, Izulia, and you �ll be surprised. Just remember to keep it going, because you may have to say it a thousand times in order to undo the �brain washing �. Cheers, Peter

17 May 2014     

izulia
China

Big thank you for your replies and good advice, dear friends!  I totally agree with the idea of positive instructions in class. 
However maybe because I wasn �t quite clear in my question but it is still unanswered. What I tried to clarify was the difference between the words �shout � and �yell �. The thing is, my teaching assistant often says to the kids, e.g. "Johnny, you are yelling!" when little Johnny speaks loudly to his friend while they are playing a game. So I �m not sure if this is the right word in that context? I did look up both words in dictionaries but I �m still not quite sure. 
Any clarification in the difference between �shout � and �yell � will be much appreciated. 

17 May 2014     

Nina Duarte
Brazil

I have found this on the web: " the emotions behind them are that which makes them differ.  Yell means to say (something) very loudly especially because you are angry, surprised, or are trying to get someone �s attention." I believe it is a bit more agressive than "shout". 

17 May 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Hi izulia

cunliffe answered your question which is why I didn �t:  no shouting

I am unable to advise you on the appropriate form out of the two for your situation however I can tell you that both are quite similar, at least in my neck of the woods, but they do sometimes have different contexts.  Shouting is more commonly used by far.  Yelling is a bit more intense than shouting.  In terms of these different contexts, take a look at some of the links here. They have good explanations and include screaming which is part of that family.

Cheers

Jayho

17 May 2014