Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Advice needed: Spanish cards in class    

Advice needed: Spanish cards in class

carinita
Argentina

Advice needed: Spanish cards in class

What should I do after confiscating a set of spanish cards in my lesson? A group of students were playing with them during the lesson. The student who brought the cards to the classroom will ask me to return them to him. Should I? I �m seeing him and the rest of the students on Wednesday (the day after tomorrow) :)
P. S. In case I decide not to return them...where do I keep them? what to do with confiscated stuff?

19 May 2014      

tepeese
Spain

In my school we keep them for a week unless a parent comes to ask for them

19 May 2014     

Raissa
Brazil

Spanish cards you mean tarot? Well, I don �t know what �s the right thing to do, but as a teacher I would return it and ask him not to bring it again because class is the place where he must concentrate and learn. I like to show interest on my students tastes and preferences, in fact it helps me to prepare classes that are meaningful for them. I would talk to them about it even if I �m not interested. But be very clear about not tolerating non-related objects in class :D

Personally, I don �t agree with keeping student �s objects, unless it �s something very serious. But advise them not to repeat this.

Hope you can take the best decision for you and your students Wink 

19 May 2014     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

It �s up to you to decide, but as for me, I confiscate some things time to time (toys, mobiles, because they are not allowed to be used during the lesson), I give them to children back after the lesson warning that next time I �ll return the thing only to hisher parents. It works. Only one time I returned the mobile to the boy �s mother. 

19 May 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I don �t think you should keep them - I don �t think we would be allowed to keep stuff taken from students in England. It �s their property and you have no right to keep it. Playing cards in class is quite serious. I would want the parents informing and I might insist on them coming to school to retrieve the cards. 

19 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

Doesn �t the school have a rule about it? They should.

Bruce

19 May 2014     

goospanish
Mexico

Maybe have the students involved do something that would help them learn and then give back to owner.   Like write about when they like to play cards and who they play with and where is good place to play cards.     Just some ideas.

19 May 2014     

CoLMC
France

And what if you planned a lesson about Spanish cards or any anything related to card games,
I remember a colleague of mine having problems with girls more interested in making up than in his lessons. Very wisely, he didn �t take their mirrors but instead, invited a beautician in class later and had an English lesson on make up. It helped him make the point on what was expected or not in his class!
Obviously, it takes time and energy but it �s a good way of showing interest to students without getting too much in trouble!

19 May 2014     

silvia.patti
Italy

When I confiscate mobile phones, I give them to the head teacher and he calls their parents; in case of small objects, I decide if giving them back after the lesson or at the end of the school year. Two weeks ago I confiscated some dangerous pens with a laser light and I �m not going to give them back
Silvia

20 May 2014     

douglas
United States

I would say it is theft if you don �t give them back. I would say: check your school policy, pass the items on to their main teacher/principal, or call their parents and let the parents pick them up from you during school hours are all possibilities

20 May 2014