Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Why shall?    

Why shall?

sashulochka
Ukraine

Why shall?

There is one famous phrase from the Lord of the Rings movies. "You shall not pass" Could you explain why we use shall? Thanks for your answers.

22 May 2014      

yanogator
United States

It �s from an old grammar rule. In the past, the future was formed by "shall" in the first person, and "will" in the second or third person.

I shall be there tomorrow.
I hope you will be there, too.

However, in the imperative, they are switched.

I will take my turn!
You shall do your homework now!

So, "You shall not pass" is the negative imperative, second person.

By the way, the last time I saw that usage in school was in 1966.

Bruce

22 May 2014     

paugyg
Argentina

Well, maybe I am completely wrong here, but I remember something specific my History teacher said in one of my classes at University, we were analyzing a speech from a president (I don �t remember the speech nor the president) and there was a line with "shall", so she drew a comparison with Gandalf �s famous line "You shall not pass" (of course, this is the part that I remember about the lesson Pinch). She explained that the use of "shall" in both cases was not merely to refer to the future because "shall" has a very important connotation: a sense of will on the part of the speaker. That is to say, when I say: "You shall not pass", I �m not only saying that in the future you will not pass, but I �m also implying MY involvement and commitment in your not passing. I mean: I will make sure you won �t pass.
I might have made things more confusing Confused
Maybe there �s someone out there who can explain this formally, sorry for the mess I made with my explanation!

22 May 2014     

papadeli
Greece

When you want to express a strong determination, shall is used with you, he, she, it, they. You shall not go to the cinema! Greetings from Greece, papadeligames.wordpress.com

22 May 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

@paugyg- The is following is from Lincoln �s Gettysburg address..... It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us�that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion�that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain�that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom�and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

22 May 2014     

paugyg
Argentina

@paugyg- The is following is from Lincoln �s Gettysburg address..... It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us�that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion�that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain�that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom�and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. --- Yes, that is it! That was the speech we were analyzing in my History class! Shame on me, that speech is as memorable as Gandalf �s famous line, to say the least! Frankly, I �m quite embarrased. My History teacher would definitely be ashamed of me if she ever found out I remembered the Gandalf reference instead of Lincoln �s Gettysburg address... Embarrassed

22 May 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s like in the ten commandments, "Thou shall not kill"
have a look here

22 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

Actually, it �s "Thou shalt not kill". If you are going to use the "King James" pronoun, you must use the verb form that goes with it.

Bruce

24 May 2014