Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I need help pls....    

I need help pls....

simang21
Japan

I need help pls....

Good Afternoon Everybody, I would to know the difference between -What �s wrong? and What �s the matter? -made from milk and made of milk I would really appreciate it if you can tell me or explain it. Thanks in advance

28 May 2014      

dmharg
Greece

Hi! What �s wrong? What �s the matter? What is going on? It �s all the same thing. You can use then to ask someone how do they feel. Concerning the other two, I think made from milk is wrong but I am not sure. Maybe a native speaker could answer you better :)

28 May 2014     

yanogator
United States

dmharg is right that What �s wrong and What �s the matter mean the same. They are both used to ask about some kind of problem. However, "What �s going on?" is broader than the other two. It is used for asking what is happening, whether good or bad.

Made of milk indicates that milk is an ingredient (probably the main ingredient)
Made from milk indicates that the item starts with milk, but undergoes some process that changes its nature.

Custard is made of milk, sugar and eggs.
Cheese is made from milk.

Bruce

29 May 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

What �s the matter?

and

What �s wrong?

They are both really close in meaning. When you see someone who looks a bit angry, sad, crying, etc. you �d probably ask them:

What �s wrong? is used when there is something obviously wrong with someone. They are showing signs of a big emotional problem, like crying, screaming, shouting, punching, kicking, etc.

A: waaah, sniff , sniff, waah (crying sounds)

B:Oh, what �s wrong little girl?

A: I can �t find my Mommy.

B: Do you know your phone number? You can call home on my cell.

As you can see in this example, the girl is crying so"What �s wrong?" sounds more natural. "What �s the matter?" would be more polite but he �s talking to a child so it isn �t really necessary.

Don: Damn! Stupid piece of crap!!! (hits his keyboard)

Paul: Hey Don, calm down. What �s wrong?

Don: My stupid computer froze AGAIN. I hate windows!!

There �s an obvious problem and Don and Paul are friends so, "What �s wrong?" sounds better.

"What �s the matter?" is more flexible and also more polite. You can use it when someone is crying, screaming, angry, etc. AND when they are simply quiet or don �t seem like themselves.

A: You �re quiet today. What �s the matter?

B: I just got dumped~! 

A: Oh, your boyfriend broke up with you? He �s a jerk!

So, there was no obvious sign of anything wrong she was just quieter than usual. In the case, it �s more natural to me to say "What �s the matter?".

I think "What �s the matter?" because it is more polite and less direct makes it softer and so more flexible, maybe even kinder. "What �s wrong?" is a bit too direct to use with strangers.

A: waah waah sniff sniff waaaah (crying)

B: What �s the matter?

A: I lost my cat.

B: It �s ok, I �m sure it will come back. Do you want me to help you find it?

A and B don �t really seem to know each so "What �s the matter?" sounds a bit better.

29 May 2014     

darryn
United Kingdom

Thanks for the entertaining story and explanation.

29 May 2014     

simang21
Japan

Now I can explain to my Japanese students very well. Thank you very much... Have a nice day.

29 May 2014