Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with the sentence    

Help with the sentence

gordana44
Croatia

Help with the sentence

Hello to you all,

I need your advice with these senteces:

1 I live in Los Angeles now, working as a film director.

2 Are you still living in London?

Are these sentences correct? If not how to write them correctly?

Thanks for your help and advice.

I really appreciate it.

3 Jun 2014      

joy2bill
Australia

They are both correct but I would ask " If not, how do you write them correctly?"

4 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Hi there!
I am sorry to tell you that both sentences are grammatically wrong.
The first sentence doesn�t have a parallel structure. You should say: �I live in Los Angels now, and I work as a film director �. 
The second sentence implies surprise or annoyance because the tense used is the present continuous. You should say: �Do you still live in London? �

4 Jun 2014     

joy2bill
Australia

Sorry to disagree but as a native speaker I would use both sentences regardless of the rules. How many native speakers ever think about "parallel structures"? The second example is also commonly used. It �s another case of "formal English" versus "real English". Do any other native speakers agree with me?

4 Jun 2014     

baloochester
France

Even though I �m not a native speaker I would say that Gordana �s sentences are correct, I hardly ever use "parallel structures" and I don �t think I ever have!

As for the second example I �d say exactly the same as Joy2bill, it �s commonly used. When I go to London, I am very often asked if I �m still living in the same place as, if I �m still working in the same school as before etc...

4 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

I don �t know where nasreddine gets the idea that the present continuous only expresses surprise or annoyance when used in a question, because that just isn �t true. It can show that, but, as is the case here, the usual connotation of the continuous tenses is to show action over a period of time.

Anyway, I agree with joy2bill. Both sentences are correct.

Bruce

4 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Hi Bruce,
I have never said that the present progressive �ONLY  EXPRESSES SURPRISE OR ANNOYANCE �! I said that in that particular sentence, it IMPLIES surprise or annoyance! 
Live is a verb of continuity. The progressive aspect can hardly affect it. As long as you�re dealing with facts, it is better to say, "I still live in Los Angeles �. The questions would,then, be."Do you still live in Los Angeles"? But if you say, "Are you still living in Los Angeles"? it really implies that you �re a bit surprised! Grammar should never be dealt with in isolation of a clear context. Thanks.

4 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

What �s �parallel structures? �ConfusedWink I know about parallel lines!
I believe that expressing surprise in this instance would depend on the intonation/stress.

Shock horror with : Do you still live in London?
Do you still live in London? Implies: No, that can �t be right! Requires confirmation. 
Do you still live in London? Implies: time you moved on, surely!
Do you still live in London? Implies: ooh, are you still living in that awful place! 

Shock horror with: Are you still living in London?
Are you still living in London? Implies: No, that can �t be right?
Are you still living in London? Implies: Oh, shocking - get a move on!

Etc....
Lynne

4 Jun 2014     

yanogator
United States

Hi, nasreddine,
There is no need to shout.
No, "Are you still living in Los Angeles?" doesn �t necessarily imply surprise. We native speakers use the present continuous for simple questions like this regularly. The continuous tenses tend to emphasize that an activity takes place over time. Although, as you are saying, the simple present expresses that just fine for the verb "live", we also use the present continuous with "live", without implying surprise.

Bruce

4 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

Hi Lynne, 
Hope you �re doing great.
Well, parallel structure means using the same pattern of words to show that two or more ideas have the same level of importance. This can happen at the word, phrase, or clause level. 
I like skiing, swimming, and to play tennis. As you can see, to play tennis should be playing tennis! The structure in the example above is not parallel, thus the sentence is grammatically incorrect. 
Regards

4 Jun 2014     

nasreddine Sarsar
Tunisia

I am not shouting Bruce. I am really sorry if you think I shouted at you. Embarrassed

4 Jun 2014     

1    2    Next >