Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Promoting independent learning    

Promoting independent learning

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Promoting independent learning

I have to prepare a resource that can be use to promote independent learning. I �m struggling - thinking of just presenting a checklist or something. Any ideas? My problem is that I think it �s a notion, an idea. How can a resource do that? 

7 Jun 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

No, you got me right, Sophia and thanks for the reply. It seems to me that independent learning is a notion, a skill, a way of working; so our SLT asking us to produce �a resource that worked � is missing the point. I know that another dept is going to present a balloon debate activity, but that �s promoting lateral thinking, maybe, but not independent learning.What I will do is show a writing checklist that the students have to go through before they can speak to the teacher (!) and a wall display, based on - �brain - book - buddy - boss �, i.e. the steps they must go through before asking for the answer. 

I might also print off some of the �picture-based discussion � wss on here, because in a way, they require the students to take responsibility. 

Thanks again!

Lynne

7 Jun 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

I think, Lynne, independent learning could be interpreted as learner autonomy as well, and the latter is key to life long learning. Nowadays, teachers who encourage self-study are berated as being inadequate but isn �t that the skill our students will need to succeed in college and later in life regardless of the career they choose. What do you think? 

7 Jun 2014     

Doot
Canada

What about if you allowed the students to pick their own topic if conversation, make up their own questions and then present their discussion questions to the class and direct the discussion?  Wouldn �t that be more of an independent activity?  Students could then decide their format to engage others to discuss whether it be a short video clip or a short article or pictures etc?  Just a thought....

7 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Thanks Doot. I �ll put a booklet together with some samples of picture-based discussion, a grid for the ss to assess them and then onto creating one. It fits in nicely with Bloom �s. 

I do agree with you, Sophia, but so often, we teachers do far too much for the students. When they get to uni, they haven�t a clue how to organise their study. 

8 Jun 2014     

florimago
Spain

Hi, Lynne, what about webquests ? I think it�s a great way to encourage students to use higher order thinking skills to solve a real messy problem.

8 Jun 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Flori - ooh yes and I think I �ve got one that Roneet put on here. I �ll see if I can find it. Thanks

8 Jun 2014     

florimago
Spain

lynne ,well I have not a great experience in webquests but there are a lot of tutorials on the web ...I think the most difficult thing is to decide "what will the webquest be about" . I can send you the first and the only one I �ve made .... :((

8 Jun 2014