Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > multiple choice    

multiple choice

nhatminh0904
Vietnam

multiple choice

please help me with this sentence:
Plastic bags seem good for carrying things. _________, people carelessly throw them away after use.(Because/ However/ Although/ Therefore)
 Thanks

21 Jun 2014      

korova-daisy
Russian Federation

however

21 Jun 2014     

tunsian teacher
Tunisia

However

21 Jun 2014     

gabrielaemma
Argentina

However

21 Jun 2014     

galimberti226
Italy

However

21 Jun 2014     

gilderoy_lockhart
Chile

If you want to present a contrast between two ideas (i.e., sentences), "however" goes at the beginning of the second sentence, and it �s always followed by a comma. For example: It was raining heavily. However, she was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

"Because" can usually go at the beginning of a second clause (i.e., "sentence within a larger sentence") to give the reason for the first clause. For example: I didn �t want to go to school BECAUSE I didn �t feel well.

"Therefore" goes at the beginning of the second sentence (the same as "However", and it �s also followed by a comma), but it presents the consequence of the first sentence. For example: My mom is afraid of heights. Therefore, she doesn �t want to be anywhere near that building.

"Although" can go at the beginning of the first clause, or it can go at the beginning of the second clause, to present a contrast. "Although" is never followed by a comma. For example: Although it was snowing, he was not wearing gloves. / He was not wearing gloves although it was snowing.

Hope it helps :)

21 Jun 2014     

gilderoy_lockhart
Chile

If you want to present a contrast between two ideas (i.e., sentences), "however" goes at the beginning of the second sentence, and it �s always followed by a comma. For example: It was raining heavily. However, she was wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

"Because" can usually go at the beginning of a second clause (i.e., "sentence within a larger sentence") to give the reason for the first clause. For example: I didn �t want to go to school BECAUSE I didn �t feel well.

"Therefore" goes at the beginning of the second sentence (the same as "However", and it �s also followed by a comma), but it presents the consequence of the first sentence. For example: My mom is afraid of heights. Therefore, she doesn �t want to be anywhere near that building.

"Although" can go at the beginning of the first clause, or it can go at the beginning of the second clause, to present a contrast. "Although" is never followed by a comma. For example: Although it was snowing, he was not wearing gloves. / He was not wearing gloves although it was snowing.

Hope it helps :)

21 Jun 2014