Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed about vocabulary    

Help needed about vocabulary

mfraczek
France

Help needed about vocabulary

Hello everybody,
I �m stuck with a word. In winter when there is black ice on the road and if you lose control of your car, what verb would you use?
Skid , slip, slide....
Thanks for your help   Clap
and avery nice holiday to all!

Murielle

2 Jul 2014      

Doot
Canada

skid

2 Jul 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Skid is the most specific, but slip and slide are also fine.

2 Jul 2014     

mfraczek
France

Thank you ever so much for your answers.
Have a nice day
Murielle Thumbs Up

2 Jul 2014     

douglas
United States

For my personal use-I usually use slide or slip--to me a skid should leave marks on the road.  This could just be due to my wild car days when I was younger though. :)

3 Jul 2014     

yanogator
United States

I mostly agree with Douglas, but people do use the expression "go into a skid" when referring to icy roads. I think of "slip" as a somewhat minor loss of control and "slide" as moving some distance out of control. As Douglas said, "skid" is usually the action of momentum on a dry surface rather than on ice. Unlike Douglas, I never had any "wild car days".

Bruce

3 Jul 2014     

Doot
Canada

I live in an area with lots of snow and we apply our breaks and the car continues to move we call it a skid.  It can also we a skid if it leaves marks on a dry surface.  

3 Jul 2014