Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > RATHER X QUITE    

RATHER X QUITE

teachergisele
Brazil

RATHER X QUITE

In the question below:

A: Hello. How are you? Have you found a job __________ (1)?
B: No, I �m afraid not. I �m __________ (2) looking. Its � taking ___________(3) longer.

ANSWERS: 1) YET 2) STILL C) QUITE OR RATHER?

I choose QUITE. But I think it �s a matter of understanding or the way someone interprets the text. This questions looked quite personal to me. It depends on the viewpoint of the reader. The person did not find a job YET but he/ she is STLL looking and it is taking QUITE ("more than a little, but not very") according to the Longman Language Activator.

WHAT WOULD YOU CHOOSE AS THE RIGHT ASNWER? 

Thanks in advance!

13 Jul 2014      

class centre
Belarus

Yet, I guess

13 Jul 2014     

EFL-Teacher
China

To the best of my knowledge, it should be �rather � rather than �quite � because the process of looking for the job is taking comparatively a little longer than EXPECTED.

13 Jul 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I agree - the first two are obvious 1) yet  2) still. For 3), none of the options makes sense.

As EFL-Teacher points out, it should be �rather longer than expected �, or �quite a long time �. It doesn �t make sense otherwise.

13 Jul 2014     

teachergisele
Brazil

Sometimes we have to correct "standard" tests that are  made by the school. This is the problem. I had an answer key with the two options quite/rather.I still think that the question was ambiguous. It depends on how the student will understand it, if it is taking "too much" or  "a little". :(

13 Jul 2014     

EFL-Teacher
China

I don �t understand why the school would include such a confusing question in the test! Is the point just to fail students... or what?!!! As a teacher, you should bring it up in the seminars or meeting sessions. :)

15 Jul 2014