Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Hi teachers! I ´ve got two questions    

Hi teachers! I ´ve got two questions

davoudi
Iran

Hi teachers! I ´ve got two questions

Hi everyone,
Please explain the answer to the following questions.

1. By the end of this month she expects to .......six chapters.
a. be written                      b. have written
c. be writing                       d. have been written

2. which of the underlined words are wrong?
When construction was about to begin on the site near the woods, some of the.....

Thanks in advance,

22 Jul 2014      

rhman
Egypt

I think in N2- The word begin it should be ( to be begun )No 1 May be ( B)though the sentence is strange to me.

22 Jul 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

1b.
2 - they are all OK. 

22 Jul 2014     

yanogator
United States

I agree with Lynne:
1 b
2 They are all OK.

rhman seems to be saying that the sentence sounds like the construction is giong to begin itself (and I agree), but there is nothing wrong with the sentence as written.

Bruce

22 Jul 2014     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I agree with Lynne and Bruce. As an explanation, to Q1 I �d say that a) passive voice "6 chapters are written" b)continuous "She is writing (now)" c) present perfect, used when a result or outcome is more important than the past and d) passive voice again "6 chapters have been written". (You could add �will � so it becomes "6 chapters will have been written".) Just remember that the passive voice can often sound awkward and as such we prefer the active voice. "The construction was begun" sounds very strange, while the "Construction was about to begin" sounds perfectly normal. Hope this helps. Peter

22 Jul 2014