Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What does "be bound to do smth" mean in terms of modal meanings?    

What does "be bound to do smth" mean in terms of modal meanings?

niksailor
Russian Federation

What does "be bound to do smth" mean in terms of modal meanings?

Hello! Could you, please, explain the modal meaning of the construction "be bound to do smth"? What widely used modal verbs (should, must etc.) are synonyms to it, so that I can try to translate the construction into my native language?
thanx in advance Clap

6 Sep 2014      

Mimoza123
Albania

It means : Having an obligation to do something because of a lawpromise etc
be bound by something to do something

If her patient threatensto kill someoneshe is bound by law to inform the police.

6 Sep 2014     

Zora
Canada

Hi there,

On a colloquial level, it means "that you most likely will do smthing or smthing will happen, but it �s not a 100% assured."

Today, I am bound to go shopping. Call me later and I will let you know.

I am not sure, but he is bound to appear at any moment.

They are bound to bring the dog so take your allergy pills just in case.

6 Sep 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

To add to these answers - it mainly corresponds with must in this sense and this is how it is used.
He is bound to know = he must know (neither of these is 100% certain). 

7 Sep 2014     

niksailor
Russian Federation

Many thanks for your explanations)) I �ve encountered this construction so many times but there is hardly a good dictionary explaining it in detail

7 Sep 2014     

FrauSue
France

For me, "bound to do" is closest in meaning to "almost certain to do", so there is no one modal verb that translates it. It can suggest obligation but more usually it is used to suggest very strong probability.

- He �s bound to be late = I am sure that he will be late.
- I �m bound to fall over that loose stone one day. = I am almost certainly going to fall over that stone one day; it is practically inevitable.

23 Sep 2014