Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you teach this sentence?    

How do you teach this sentence?

davoudi
Iran

How do you teach this sentence?

Hi everyone!

How do you explain the exclamatory sentence in the following context? What structure does this exclamatory sentence follow? Would you please say some similar sentences? Does �what a way� have also an idiomatic meaning here? Does it show a pity or regret?

A woman comes back from a trip and she sees her apartment is covered with water (due to a leaking pipe).She says �What a way to end my trip!�

Many thanks in advance,

8 Sep 2014      

redcamarocruiser
United States

"What a way to" can be an expression of something negative or positive, depending on the context, It adds emphasis.

In your example it means what a terrible way to end the trip.

Or what an awful way to end the trip.

The speaker is most likely expressing upset, frustration, or exasperation at the unpleasant situation of finding her apartment flooded. Depending on her tone of voice, she could conceivably be expressing self-pity, awe, amazement, or humor, (Some people face adversity with laughter and don �t get upset).  But we would normally interpret her exclamation as exasperation. I don �t think regret fits, but I am open to what others think.

A similar sentence is "What a way to go!" 

"What a way to go!" is a comment on an example of *either extreme* of good/bad ways to die. 

The speaker is expressing envy, admiration, sympathy, or gratitude (that the speaker hasn �t died that way) of the dead person �s manner of dying." (source yahoo answers )

Another similar example is "What a way to start your day" which can be a positive or negative start.

8 Sep 2014